Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt >

In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt

Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt

Yesterday was a great morning to get out - so I headed to the Rock Pit with my Western Edition Mountaineer. I wanted to complete my project of getting the rifle sighted in with the new bullet that I had gotten from Bull Shop Dan. In Idaho we are required to use open sights and full bore lead conicals and I was switching from the my normal .503x460 grain Bull Shop to a lighter faster version a .503x350 grain lead conical.

When I got to the rock pit I set up a paper target @ 75 yards and completed the sight in that I was happy and confident with. After that I brought the paper target back in and walked 6 clay pigeons out to the rock wall to complete the shoot. The wall ranges about 100 yards from my portable bench.

I am shooting 110 grains of T7-3f ignited with a #11 Mag cap, I have in the past used a shot card under the bullet to keep the intense heat of the burning T7 from melting the bottom of the lead projectile. But for the last several months I have been using a MMP 50 cal. Sub Base instead of the card for the insulative effect plus adding to the capture of pressure behind the sub base.

It only took 5 shots to complete the paper project - then it was on the to real fun - shooting something that would break. I set six birds on the wall and began a systematic shoot down... The first 6 were so much fun I set up another 4 and worked them down to nothing.

Here is a composite picture of the shoot...

Old 05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Spike

Are you using the MMP Ballistic Bridge under a flat base conical?

I have used the MMP BBSB with Hollow Bases like the Hornady Great Plains. I never tried it under a flat base since it seemed to be a misfit. The .50 460 Bullshops I have are flat base. Is your 350 hollow?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bill308
Are you using the MMP Ballistic Bridge under a flat base conical?

I have used the MMP BBSB with Hollow Bases like the Hornady Great Plains. I never tried it under a flat base since it seemed to be a misfit. The .50 460 Bullshops I have are flat base. Is your 350 hollow?
I am using them against a flat base. The weight of the bullet and the force driven up the bore flatten the sub base dome some what and the skirt holds the gas behind the sub base... Gas pressure appears to be great enough that the dome is never fully collapsed...

Here is a picture of new and recovered sub bases...

You can see they are somewhat compressed but do not loose their form completely.

I even use them under 50 cal bullets shooting them sabotlessly...

Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

That's good shooting.

Today when I was reading my Natchez.Com magazine I thought of you. They sell these holders that you jam in the ground and they hold a clay bird. But then I thought.. what happens if you shoot low and hit that holder? How long would they last with a poor shot?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Spike

Sabotloader,

Thanks. I never would have tried it without this information. Prior searches didn't turn anything up on it, just news about trimming 28 gauge shotgun wads, with some reports of plastic fouling from that.

I just ordered some more Bullshops 460 NeX. Now I have something new to go try.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
That's good shooting.

Today when I was reading my Natchez.Com magazine I thought of you. They sell these holders that you jam in the ground and they hold a clay bird. But then I thought.. what happens if you shoot low and hit that holder? How long would they last with a poor shot?
I am heck on target stands so I am always thinking the worst... I end up using scrap pieces of wood tied to base to shoot at - I can replace the scrap wood.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Spike

How's the recoil on the 110grain of t7 with the Bull Shop bullet? The Mountaineer is a pretty light rifle . . .
Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dante231
How's the recoil on the 110grain of t7 with the Bull Shop bullet? The Mountaineer is a pretty light rifle . . .
I am not really recoil conscious so for me to measure or notice recoil is not a problem...Well that is not correct - a 3 1/2" -12 gage turkey load get my attention!

The Mountaineer is the heavier of the two top line Knights, The Ultra-Lite is the light one. The Mountaineer weighs in at 7+ lbs.

The other thing I am using a thumbhole stock which I believe also helps reduce felt recoil. So, again for myself not a problem.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Spike

Default Ballistic Bridge Subbase & Flat Base Conical

Tried this idea of Ballistic Bridge Sub base with Flat Base Conical today. It worked great.

Without any wad, got groups over 3". With a 1/8" felt wad, things tightened to about 2". With the BBSB, produced two groups, each less than 1".

I never would have tried this without seeing this thread. It seems to be the solution for one TC QLA.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bill308
Tried this idea of Ballistic Bridge Sub base with Flat Base Conical today. It worked great.

Without any wad, got groups over 3". With a 1/8" felt wad, things tightened to about 2". With the BBSB, produced two groups, each less than 1".

I never would have tried this without seeing this thread. It seems to be the solution for one TC QLA.
Now that really s good news... Hope someone else with a TC QLA gives this a try...

Bill the question being asked which TC were you shooting and which conical?

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.