Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Elk bullet suggestions? >

Elk bullet suggestions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Elk bullet suggestions?

Old 07-28-2012, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO there would be only one choice for Elk, a Harvester Hard Cast.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
IMHO there would be only one choice for Elk, a Harvester Hard Cast.
No other bullet will work?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

One of my forum members posted this yesterday. Looks like a heck of a bullet too! About time hornady makes a good bullet. Of course they did have to go the Barnes way in order to get it right. Just like nosler.

Hornady Monoflex ,458, 250 grain
left is 100 grains of BH209 & the one on the right is 110 grains

Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Except for one small fact that you have missed Jon, Nosler was producing partitions long before Barnes.

Nosler was producing the Partition in 1946. The all copper Barnes came out in 1985.

Makes it kinda hard for Nosler to copy Barnes.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Partition isn't an all copper bullet. How does that relate?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Partition isn't an all copper bullet. How does that relate?

Actually do not know Jon brought it up with the discussion of Nosler Partions and Barnes... but then again not all barnes are all copper. Some of their better bullets were the lead/copper variety - but even then they did not produce a Partition.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
nyck nyck! Aint you the one
When it comes to paper patched 500 S&W hunting bullets for my 50 cal ML, Yes I will say I have had enough luck with them to say I am an expert. You will also notice that I didn't jump in and recommend them for elk. You know why?? Because I haven't shot an elk with one yet. At 460 grains this bullet will stomp a bull. I have seen this bullet plow length wise through big mule deer. But since I haven't killed an elk with them my self I didn't recommend it. That is the difference.

If I have actual knowledge of the issue I will post on it. If all I have is something I read, or info someone told a friend, that told a friend. I don't blab it trying to make my self look like an expert. Do you see the difference? Ron
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by idahoron
When it comes to paper patched 500 S&W hunting bullets for my 50 cal ML, Yes I will say I have had enough luck with them to say I am an expert. You will also notice that I didn't jump in and recommend them for elk. You know why?? Because I haven't shot an elk with one yet. At 460 grains this bullet will stomp a bull. I have seen this bullet plow length wise through big mule deer. But since I haven't killed an elk with them my self I didn't recommend it. That is the difference.

If I have actual knowledge of the issue I will post on it. If all I have is something I read, or info someone told a friend, that told a friend. I don't blab it trying to make my self look like an expert. Do you see the difference? Ron
So, going off your experience. If I said a 460gr conical will kill deer. I'd be wrong, because I haven't done it? Are we to just throw out your experience as having no value?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once upon a time i had a steady supply of them juice jugs. I started catching my bullets because i never got a chance to see how they looked when they killed deer. Then i settled on a standard of 6 water filled jugs, and phone book stack. This was used to compare about 9 different bullets. All bullets were shot from about 50', with 105g of BH powder. Several bullets such as the 300g XTP, 300g Deep Curl, 270g Deep Curl, 275g Parker BE were caught in the jugs. If i recall correctly the Deep Curls were found in the third or fourth jug. The XTP was found in the second or third jug. The Parker was found on the ground behind the fourth jug.

Shooting the different bullets into the same jug configuration seemed to provide a reasonable comparison of how a bullet performs.

Here is a VIDEO of the Barnes 290g TEZ. This bullet ended up in the phone book stack. Good penetration 'eh?

Here is a video of the 300g Nosler Partition shot at the same set. This bullet was found buried in the phone book stack.

A fella named Harry sent me some conical bullet to shoot at the jug set. He suggested the 440g bullet be shot at 1450 fps so to have the same energy as the various 300g bullets pushed by 105g. The load behind Harry' bullet ended up about 90g BH. At the time of this test, there were only 5 jug, and no more were/are available. This conical was/is the only other bullet besides the Nosler to knock over all the jugs and the phone book stack. Here is the video of Harry' conical. Now that is fun to watch!! This bullet was found buried in the phone books about 2".

Our son hunted elk with me several years, maybe 35. We used a few different rifles to kill them elk with. He used a 6mm, 7mm, 30-30, 338 Weatherby, 458 Winchester, and finally nowaday a 350 remington. He grew tired of them hard kicking magnums. Myself, i used the 6mm before he did to prove to myself, it would kill elk. It did about 4 times for me using a 100g partition. I didn't want him to start out with a hard recoiling gun. My favorite elk rifle was a 358 Winchester. I had it built short and light; 19" barrel. We both use the 225g Nosler Partition in our elk rifle. It is about impossible for me to know for sure, but i kinda sorta think between us we killed maybe 30 elk with that 225g partition. Yup, i think the 300g 45 caliber Nosler Partition would be an excellent bullet to kill elk with. The boy killed a grizzly with a 250g Nosler Partition out of his 350 Remington.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muley you miss the whole point.

He is just tired of flippant answers thrown out by persons with little or no actual experience. Quit trying to turn these threads into debates. People ask questions because they are curious, and want to learn. They don't wish for their threads to decay into debate games.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.