Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jug at 322 yard

Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Must be why we are here at HNI, more tolerant people. Us inline guys don't bash the primitive guys.
What's to bash? They're doing it right.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
If i was hunting shelter belts then the same would apply to me. right now the deer won't go near a shelterbelt. They know they get ambushed in there so they prefer to stay in the open , with at least a 1000 yards all around. Then they run when the see something. makes it a little more difficult. Thats why during rifle season I like my scoped inline.
you can sometimes belly crawl to within a couple hundred yards but it's hard to get real close. I did get to within 25 yards of some Muleys today but didnt shoot one .But they were in some coneflowers and thought they couldnt be seen I guess. They were the dumbest deer I've seen in a long time.
here's where I was hunting today

What you cant see in the last picture is a herd of deer about a 1000 yards out in the middle of the field.

So I feel that practicing to shoot longer ranges is a good thing where i live. I'm sure Ron feels the same way since he is hunting the prairie this year. I do admit that I get plenty of deer close enough ,but this way I dont have to work as hard for every deer. I save my stalking for bow and muzzy season ,or early season when the shelterbelts are still a deer haven.
Seriously for a minute. I'd give up hunting if that was all that was available. I know some guys like it, but I need trees.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

For those who know me. I'm busting your chops, but deep down. It's how I feel.

I'm just not as intolerant as you think.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Swiss, PRB, and a #11 cap.
You still haven't defined a muzzle loader. You listed an example of one but did not define what one is.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Pa.flintlock season opens 26 Dec.Flintlock only,Roundball only,open sights only.Buckskins are optional.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Seriously for a minute. I'd give up hunting if that was all that was available. I know some guys like it, but I need trees.
It is daunting when one wanders around out on the prairie with a muzzle loader equipped with iron sights. The chance of getting a reasonable shot seems virtually impossible.

This muzzle loader season has been on going since the first day of December. Yesterday i finally got a shot, when i was headed back to the truck. Five deer were kinda walking toward me about 1/4 mile away. The furthest one out saw me, became very nervous, turned, and walked away. The other 4 walked right by my truck, and continued toward me. I just happened to be next to a group of Juniper,and sat down between two of them with another behind me. The wind was exactly wrong. I 'knew' there would be no chance.

Them deer finally winded me. Even though they winded me, they kept coming towards, and i 'knew' i would never get a shot. As i watched them deer feed, they kept winding me, but continued on a path bringing them ever closer, but not directly at me. After quite some time, it seemed they were as close as they would ever get, and they were quite nervous from my smell.

The shot seemed some too far, and i cannot hardly focus on the front sight. The shot was taken, because i wanted meat. The bullet was guided somehow, and one of them 4 deer came home with me.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It is daunting when one wanders around out on the prairie with a muzzle loader equipped with iron sights. The chance of getting a reasonable shot seems virtually impossible.

This muzzle loader season has been on going since the first day of December. Yesterday i finally got a shot, when i was headed back to the truck. Five deer were kinda walking toward me about 1/4 mile away. The furthest one out saw me, became very nervous, turned, and walked away. The other 4 walked right by my truck, and continued toward me. I just happened to be next to a group of Juniper,and sat down between two of them with another behind me. The wind was exactly wrong. I 'knew' there would be no chance.

Them deer finally winded me. Even though they winded me, they kept coming towards, and i 'knew' i would never get a shot. As i watched them deer feed, they kept winding me, but continued on a path bringing them ever closer, but not directly at me. After quite some time, it seemed they were as close as they would ever get, and they were quite nervous from my smell.

The shot seemed some too far, and i cannot hardly focus on the front sight. The shot was taken, because i wanted meat. The bullet was guided somehow, and one of them 4 deer came home with me.
Yeah, that's tough hunting with open sights on a ML. I wouldn't have fun.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Chasam60
Pa.flintlock season opens 26 Dec.Flintlock only,Roundball only,open sights only.Buckskins are optional.

I thought I read Grouse saying he was using sabots in that season? Maybe not.

I wish Colorado would have a season like that.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You still haven't defined a muzzle loader. You listed an example of one but did not define what one is.
To make it simple for you, because you seem to demand an answer. A sidelock. Preferably with a slow twist barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.