Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Neck shot or vitals >

Neck shot or vitals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Neck shot or vitals

Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Muley I am far from a braggart but when it is brought up as bp brought it up first, not me. I can hold my own with the amount of bone on my wall. I thought we was having a contest when he asked how many after the first, I have gotten.

Last edited by Boonechaser; 12-05-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

And bp I don't know what your issue is but my point is, aim big, miss small. Aim at a head and your aiming small with potential to miss big. I aim at a large vital area with a smaller potential to miss. Easy logic for most, but as I said each their own. I thank you for the compliment of being a perfect hunter, it is appreciated. But, as I stated I am not, I just don't make questionable shots therefore I do not make bad shots. Sorry that you don't sleep good after a bad shot.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not judging. I didn't mean to sound like that. I guess I was just trying to explain why I don't keep antlers.

It's just how I was taught. If you're proud of your trophy's. That's all that should matter to you.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost always aim for the vitals. I never take a shot that is iffy. But I have taken a few neck shots- every time the deer dropped like it had been struck by Thor's hammer. Each time, I had confidence that I could make the shot, and there was no other shot available. One time it was on a wounded deer that needed to be put down. Not trying to boast or anything, but if the deer is not moving, is inside of 80 yards, and I have a steady hold, I can drop a deer with a neck shot as consistently as most other hunters with a vitals shot at the same range.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy Boonechaser that was a Nice Family Friendly Comment that you made above, why not do what's best and Delete it. Sorry we got off on a bad start togeather.
(BP)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Spike

When I was younger I was taught to shoot through the shoulders breaking both shoulders, heart and lungs. This year I decided to change up a bit and dropped the aim point back a few inches and shoot right behind the shoulders and take out both lungs, wastes less meat.