Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Large Rifle Primer >

Large Rifle Primer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Large Rifle Primer

Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ShawnT

Am inclined to agree that small rifle primer are not enough to ignite BH. Also have discovered that the CCI large rifle primer are made of 'hard' stuff. In my initial test of this plug and brass and primer, one primer failed to fire. In some ensuing tests, a few of the primer failed to fire. There was never a hang fire, but there were a few instances where the CCI magnum large rifle primer didn't pop, and thus there was no fire. I rotated them unfired primer, and mostly they then fired. It seemed to me, my rifle was at fault, and i attempted to correct the problem to no avail.

For some reason it occurred to me to try Federal magnum large rifle primer, and never had another failure to fire. It seems the material of the Federal large rifle magnum primer is softer than the material of the CCI primer. The firing pin of the rifle made a substantially deeper crater in the Federal primer, than in the CCI primer, and the Federal primer always popped, and provided a nice hot spark that never failed to ignite the BH209.

I have also concluded that i never should have given away the hammer extension of the rifle. In retrospect it appears that when one has a rebounding hammer, the mass of the extension is helpful in hitting the primer hard enough to ignite it, because of the rebounding spring.

Another thing, when i decided to switch primer brands, i popped about 10 primed cases. I did this so i could install new Federal primer instead of the CCI primer. When i did this discharging of the primers without powder, the flash hole became completely plugged by the carbon from them CCI primer. I couldn't clear the flash hole with a torch tip cleaner. I couldn't clear the flash hole with a # 70 drill spun by hand. The vent liner, i soaked in solvent for quite some time, and still had a difficult time using the #70 drill to clear the flash hole of carbon. It was my understanding that the rifle primers would be cleaner than the shotgun primers, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Thus far i have seen little advantage to using a large rifle primer, instead of a shotgun primer. The shotgun primer has been very reliable in my rifles, and has caused me no issues. It seems to me, rifle primers require being very fussy when setting up the rifle, breech plug, and brass. The brand of primer also seems some critical.

One lucky group was made by the first three shots of the morning one day, using the CCI large rifle magnum primer. The second primer wouldn't fire, until it was hit 3 times, but when it popped it ignited the BH right now. I have been unable to repeat this accuracy, thus far.

The middle target is 3 shots at 199 yard.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Spike

It seems the material of the Federal large rifle magnum primer is softer than the material of the CCI primer.
Ron,

This has also been something I have believed, based on what I have seen in centerfire reloading. I have always been a Federal primer user but on occassion CCI was all I could get. and I have noticed that the Federal will flow into the firing pin hole when the CCI would not with hotter loads. I also had a rifle once that had a seemingly light firing pin spring and it gave the same light stikes on CCI but fired consistantly with Fed. I do have one Ruger 77 that I only use the CCI because of the size of the firing pin hole in the bolt.

The MK 95 is really a rebuilt/modified MK 85. The basic action is the same as far as I can tell, except for the addition of the slot for the small bolt handle for the posifire bolt. The Posifire kit is not a one peice bolt such as in the Disc based rifles. It is actually 2 peices, a bolt with firing pin and a plunger striker. I would imagine the plunger coil spring is quite a but heavier than the one in your rebounding hammer rifle. I know it is when compared to my KRB7. I would also tend to believe you are right about the hammer spur too. It would tend to add some weight which would add to the forward moving mass of the hammer. With the KRB, they had a few hammer safteys that would rock back into "Safe" when fired due to the added weight of the hammer spur.

I have seen some slight blockage of the flash hole in my plugs using the CCI mag primer, but it was not near as hard as what you described, but then again I do not recall popping of 10 in a row either. In the cases I saw it was more like ash and was easily removed. I have also used the Federal and Remington Mags as well with good results.

While it is a great experiment I would tend to agree that it is a lot of work you are doing for no so much in return. But I do envy you having the equipment to do this. Hats off to you.

ShawnT
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ShawnT
................having the equipment...........
ShawnT
Equipment and rainy days. One doesn't need a lot of room either. Hobby lathe and mill are not so very heavy and large. I believe you once mentioned a lathe; perhaps it is time. Remember, tooling will cost as much as the machine.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Spike

Ron,

I would love to have a lathe and mill, even the small hobby type would work for some of the things I would love to work on. But I live in an apartment, so no way that will happen anytime soon. Largest thing I have is a small benchtop drill press. Someday though.