Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
thunderhawk likes 777 >

thunderhawk likes 777

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thunderhawk likes 777

Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default thunderhawk likes 777

Got a chance to try out my thunderhawk with the abused barrel again, this time I tried some 777 thanks to a suggestion from Lonewolf. I started out with the 240xtp as I like this bullet and it always seems to shoot well in my other guns. I started out with 80 gr and it shot pretty well with 1.5 inch groups at 50yds. Next I upped the load to 90gr. and the group tightened up to all three touching, so I kept shooting and after six shots all I had was a one inch jagged hole. Next I tried some 250 sst bullets and they also shot a good 1 inch group. I have yet to shoot at 100yds but so far I am happy as I thought maybe this barrel was beyond hope. I guess this gun really likes 777 and doesn't seem to like goex at all. Maybe I'll get some goex 3f and try that. I really prefer real black powder in my hunting guns as I have limited confidence in anything else when it gets really cold, I guess I could just use this as my antelope hunting gun as its usually pretty warm then.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

The 240 XTP's are a nice bullet to shoot. Not many muzzleloaders, that don't like them.

To bad the Thunderhawk doesn't like the Goex... the more I shoot it, the more I like it.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I find my 50 cal. thunder hawk will tack drive bullets with 115 gr, goex 3f
but triple 777 cleans up a lot faster :I try not to go higher then 85 Gr. of triple only because I hate recoil and the t/c thunderhawk rifle has no weight to it to tame recoil
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its amazing how each rifle is different. ML must all be female! Some like BP while others like Pyrodex or T7. Some like light bullets some heavy and the same with powder charges. I think that is what make this sport so fun for me. Trying to determine what a particular combo a rifle likes. I think if I ever lost my log book I would be lost.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

After reading your post, I broke out my .50 Thunderhawk, and shot it with 90 grains 777, with a green Hornady sabot, and 240 grain .44, XTP's. My range is 50 yards, and I got excellent results. I have a T/C 1.5-5X32 scope on it, and was shooting under 1" groups, after adjusting scope for the load. At 50 yards, it was punching holes in 1/8" steel. Who says you need magnum loads !! I will hunt with this, this coming fall. I really like this in-line ML, better than my newer T/C Triumph, and Encore ML's. The fact that it is short, and lightweight is a huge plus for me, and the recoil is hardly felt, not an issue.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

with the 240, 250 gr. bullets the recoil is pretty mild, but put 100gr. behind a 370 maxi ball and it really makes this light rifle kick. I can shoot much heavier loads out of my .54 TC Greyhawk and the recoil is much more enjoyable. I find most or my inline rifles like shooting 240-300 grain bullets with 80-90 gr. loads, and the deer or antelope that I've shot have had complete penetration and quick kills. I see no reason to shoot mag loads for hunting and accuracy is good too.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that shooting 370/350 grain Maxi-Balls/Hunters, have a much greater felt recoil than a 240/250 grain saboted bullet, with any load. IMHO magnum loads are played up to sell the ML's that are capable of shooting them. In my experience I have found that full charge loads do not have the accuracy as a load that was worked up from a lower starting point, and tuned to the sweet spot, usually in the 80 to 110 grain range.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I load in my thunderhawk 80 to 85 grains ;I still use the number #11 caps with the t/c flame thrower nipple.I have taken a few deer both with the buffalo SSb 375 Gr. bullet sabot,also used the precision 300 Silver lightnings ,and the precision QT'S 40 in 325 Gr.
I can say I never had a deer take more then a few step with 80 Grains of triple 777.
I like the thunder hawk only because the overall weight and a great woods carry all day long M/L
The only draw back I find in the breech plug not removable.
I once has a base mount screw that would not unscrew seem the crud from shooting black powder sealed this tight as a drum.I could of drilled it out and re-tap the thread .I did spend $7.00 bucks and return it to t/c with a small note
I got the gun back in less then 10 days repaired and they did install a new base mount and screw(great service) what more can you say