Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My first time with the Lehigh conversion >

My first time with the Lehigh conversion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first time with the Lehigh conversion

Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is that when the primer is seated it is too far away from the firing pin. I get a slight indent but not enough of a blow to set it off every time. Maybe my gun is too clean or maybe when you wrap your breech plug with tape like you do it sticks out further.
Art
Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
The problem is that when the primer is seated it is too far away from the firing pin. I get a slight indent but not enough of a blow to set it off every time. Maybe my gun is too clean or maybe when you wrap your breech plug with tape like you do it sticks out further.
Art
This should not be the case... if you are only getting a slight dimple it is the reach of the hammer... and also if you were to use a Knight BP it would not dimple at all as the Knight BP is shorter than a Lehigh.

Do you have another Knight bolt in the house you could try?

I will try to get a picture to show you what it might look like with out the adapter...

Give me a few minutes.....
Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way to extend the reach of the hammer once the secondary safety is turned out as far as it goes.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pete, if you look at my first post you will see that the last shots I had no problem. Maybe I was just too gentle at closing the bolt at first and I will have better luck kind of slamming it down. I'm a pretty gentle guy you know.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is no way to extend the reach of the hammer once the secondary safety is turned out as far as it goes.
Well... mostly yes you are right, but you can by partially disassembling the hammer assembly... but I do not suggest that.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pete, if you look at my first post you will see that the last shots I had no problem. Maybe I was just too gentle at closing the bolt at first and I will have better luck kind of slamming it down. I'm a pretty gentle guy you know.
Actually I did read that and take note of it... but that only reinforced my thoughts about it being a bolt problem...

Do you have a second bolt in another gun?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually don't use tape or grease when shooting at the range. I don't think thats the problem.

Obviously the bolt needs to be all the way down. Now that you started watching that the problem could go away. And there always a chance the plug is wrong. And you could have a barrel that's threaded to deep. My LRH Elite is that way.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

Tom confirm for me... even though your barrel was threaded to deep to keep the action clean, you were still able to shoot? correct? It would not seat in your BP causeing it to be dirty, but I still thought it shot???

Am I wrong?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pete, thank you for sending the pictures, they were helpful in this discussion.
I went out to the shop. First I installed the breech plug and put a spent cap on it and fired. There was a little space, the safety did not quite bottom out. Not near as much leeway as on your mhc but that shouldn't matter as long as it didn't bottom out. I then removed the breech plug and reinstalled the bolt and dry fired. Again, the firing pin did not extend out as far as yours did, but it extends out far enough to do the job in my opinion.
I have come to the conclusion that by being too gentle in closing the bolt I wasn't seating the primer all the way into the breech plug and then part of the force of the hammer blow was spent seating the primer and then not enough force was left to fire the primer. Just like when a #11 cap does not go all the way on a nipple it can take the hammer one blow to seat it and then it goes off on the second strike.
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Art
Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might be right Grouse. Maybe when I was being gentle in closing the bolt I wasn't pushing the handle as far down as it can go. I will watch that in further testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.