Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My first time with the Lehigh conversion >

My first time with the Lehigh conversion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first time with the Lehigh conversion

Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first time with the Lehigh conversion

I got my conversion in the mail yesterday and decided to give it a whirl.
It seemed different to be using 209 primers as I have been occupied with my Whites and older Knights and haven't used a 209 primer in almost two years. My poor disc elite was feeling neglected.
I think I am one of the last knight disc rifle shooters to get the conversion. The main reason I bought the conversion was to get away from the full plastic jackets. They are getting more expensive and harder to find locally. Also I might want to give the bh209 another try. I had good ignition with the fpjs but man the cleanup of the breech area was a bugger with that powder.
For this first time I used triple 7 2f powder and a W209 primer.
At first I was getting a bit frustrated because ignition was unreliable. Sometimes it took two strikes to set off a primer and a few of the primers never did go. It drives me nutz when I am shooting and I never know for sure if the gun will fire or not. This went on for the first seven or eight shots. Then I started being more aggressive with how I closed the bolt. This was easy because I was getting pi$$ed. Then the ignition got reliable. For the last dozen shots I had no ignition problems. I don't know if it was me being more aggressive in closing the bolt or if things were just getting broke in. Have any of you experienced this with your Lehigh conversions.
The breech area of my rifle stayed really clean. I never wrapped my scope and I was unable to find any powder residue on it. Accuracy was good as it always has been in the elite. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to load a bare primer. I need to tinker with it some more. If I can be sure of the primers going off I will be really happy with this conversion.
Art
Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I never had any primers not go off with my conversion, and I shoot the Winchester W209 primers. Also I noted how clean things are.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=flounder33;3797282]Sometimes it took two strikes to set off a primer and a few of the primers never did go. It drives me nutz when I am shooting and I never know for sure if the gun will fire or not. This went on for the first seven or eight shots. Then I started being more aggressive with how I closed the bolt. This was easy because I was getting pi$$ed. Then the ignition got reliable. For the last dozen shots I had no ignition problems. I don't know if it was me being more aggressive in closing the bolt or if things were just getting broke in. Have any of you experienced this with your Lehigh conversions.
Art[/quot

Normally but not always the problem when this occurs is tht the secondary safety has vibrated forward not allow the firing to fully extend. Turn the secondary safety all the way to the rear... tight. I actually put a dab or doo of bp grease on the threads to keep the safety from vibrating forward...
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought of that Pete and I did check that. I am wondering if the manufacturing tolerances of my gun/bolt are a little extreme.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

You could always tear the bolt apart and clean up the firing pin, make sure the knob is unscrewed all the way and test with just primers on the back deck.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bolt and firing pin are spotless.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Alot talk about getting a crush fit using the Lehigh conversion and Win209's. Did it feel like a crush fit when you closed the bolt?

I am gonna be ticked if mine acts up when it arrives!!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fit was plenty tight enough to prevent blowback but it was not difficult to close the bolt. I wonder if I need to find the right sized little washer to put in where the primer goes to make it stick out a little further and get smacked harder by the firing pin. I am not saying I'm not happy with the setup I just need to figure out how to make the ignition flawless. I think the difficulty is that not all the Knight rifles are the same.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
I thought of that Pete and I did check that. I am wondering if the manufacturing tolerances of my gun/bolt are a little extreme.
I forgot to ask... were the primers going off?

If not what type of depression were you getting on the primer face.... Is there any evidence that the hammer was hitting the primer.

It would be awfull tough for the gun to be so far out of tolerance that the primer would not go off... it might be dirty but the primer should go off.

Other thoughts....

Put the gun together, but remove the primer adapter...

Close the bolt and drop the hammer, either by puling the trigger as you push the bolt handle down or just pull the trigger. You should now be able to look in the bolt opening and see the hammer protuding out of the bolt. It should almost but not quite go inside the column/primer pocket of the breech plug.

The other possible promblem.... remove the hammer assembly from the bolt... Follow the firing pin back to where it attaches to a inverted cone.... this cone must drop into a simular inverted cone in the fact of the breech plug for it to extend completely. Often this cone in the BP can become caked with carbon not allowing the hammer to drop all the way...

Just searching, but the chances of it being the BP are remote, it is possible it could be the vent liner if it is not clear and open...

Like I said just reaching for thoughts....
Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
The fit was plenty tight enough to prevent blowback but it was not difficult to close the bolt. I wonder if I need to find the right sized little washer to put in where the primer goes to make it stick out a little further and get smacked harder by the firing pin. I am not saying I'm not happy with the setup I just need to figure out how to make the ignition flawless. I think the difficulty is that not all the Knight rifles are the same.
I have no problem saying that for you...

Now we just need to figure out why...

He is one more experimant that would tell me tons.... but go in the garage or outside to do it....

Remove the bolt.... remove the primer adapter... Insert a primer in the BP... keep the gun pointed down... Install the bolt without the primer adapter.... close the bolt and pull the trigger....

That should tell you a whole bunch right away... Nothin will happen except the primer going off and it will be a bit noisy.. and of course when you open the bolt and pull back the primer will stay in the BP until flick it out....

I would love to see a pic of the depression on the primer that would let me know a lot.... again assuming the problems you were having were because the primer was not goin off...

Let me know....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.