Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

That's a PR vent liner. They are under 4.00 but its cost effective to order some bullets as PR charges 10.00 for shipping.

Edit: you were typing its a PR while I was typing. Haha

I have about 40 shots through one of Ron's plugs with SS vent liner and have had zero problems. I just recently mailed it to a friend to try in his gun.

Last edited by Omega45; 04-05-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup I know that
Originally Posted by flounder33
That was the first one and that ventliner is from PR. Since then I have used one of Ron's SS ventliners.
Art
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

They have been working great for me. Ron has done two of them for me, I never felt a bit unsafe using them. What do you think?
Here is the post from MM
The PR vent liner is certainly adequate to use, i imagine it is harden steel also (not stainless).

The stainless that Ron is using 18-8 stainless is not real close to 4140 or 416 steel used in barrel manufacturing.

Here is some information...

Stainless steel grades are iron alloys that contain more than 10.5% of chromium. Other alloys are added to stainless steel to amplify its properties. The grading is based on the metallurgical structure and nature of stainless steel. The grades of stainless steel are categorized into different families on the basis of the properties that they display.

18-8 (304 Stainless) is down the list in hardness in the stainless family, 416/4140 are on the other end of the scale. I think that is what I am reading on the net.

But what it really comes down to, is what is the correct hardness the job requires. I remember when I ask Dave why not 'harder' he had an engineers answer that I did not totally understand, but it boiled down to... 'to hard' was just a bad as being 'to soft'

I am not qualified to speculate on safety vs. non-safety but I tend to go to the safer side. So I would probably use something that has been engineered and properly tested. These products would have liability attached to them.

Do I think Ron's vent liners are unsafe - I have no idea but I would not have my son use it just for safety sakes... Myself i probabaly would if there were not other options available...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
The Knight Mountaineer is a very nice rifle. Given today's anemic economy i seriously doubt many of them will be sold at Knight's asking price.
I agree with this statement 100%.the mountaineer is top notch to say the least.this is where knights problems arise IMHO. stay a small company selling only upper end rifles,in the worst economy since the great depression.or get into the ATM market as GM refers to it with a reasonably priced break action rifle.i wish them all the luck in whatever they do.Ray
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not Safe???? I hope they are safe. I've been shooting conicals using them in my White.
Very dangerous situation. Stainless cant even be hardened to tell you the truth. Those breech plugs that are drilled out below the threads is another dangerous thing. Ecspecially in those cheap breech plugs. You need to have a plug made out of the right materials and hardened to do things like that.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
I agree with this statement 100%.the mountaineer is top notch to say the least.this is where knights problems arise IMHO. stay a small company selling only upper end rifles,in the worst economy since the great depression.or get into the ATM market as GM refers to it with a reasonably priced break action rifle.i wish them all the luck in whatever they do.Ray
You bring out very valid points. The Mountaineer is a upper end ML. Knight also sales cheaper ones. Or heck T/C and CVA also have cheaper lower end Muzzleloaders if thats what you want. You could never put a brake open ML above a bolt action in quality and accuracy.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
You bring out very valid points. The Mountaineer is a upper end ML. Knight also sales cheaper ones. Or heck T/C and CVA also have cheaper lower end Muzzleloaders if thats what you want. You could never put a brake open ML above a bolt action in quality and accuracy.
I had thoughts of giving away my old bolt action CVA Magbolt. Guess I will keep it. It is accurate.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Even mine?!? Mine are stainless!........................
Wow, wasn't this light hearted statement a huge mistake. What was meant in jest has led to uninformed people saying these ventliner are 'soft', and 'dangerous'. Live, and hopefully i will learn, at least i will try to learn.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
now now grouse, you know as well as i do the triumph shoots as well as any M/L made as far as accuracybolts are nice for some. read my last post carefully.i also feel the rush for the new knights are just that. but when the newness wears off sales will slump. hence the ATM comment in last post lol.. Ray
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
now now grouse, you know as well as i do the triumph shoots as well as any M/L made as far as accuracybolts are nice for some. read my last post carefully.i also feel the rush for the new knights are just that. but when the newness wears off sales will slump. hence the ATM comment in last post lol.. Ray
Builder,

If it ain't a Knight or made by Lehigh its junk! I cannot believe you just do not understand by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.