Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
  #101  
Giant Nontypical
 
Gm54-120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,412
Default

I would imagine if added correctly to high quality steel and IF there is enough metal to remove, it can be safe. Some are way over built from the start and some aren't. In most cases the sabot is gunna blow first anyway but i wouldn't want to test that theory.
Gm54-120 is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
  #102  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,604
Default

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 View Post
I would imagine if added correctly to high quality steel and IF there is enough metal to remove, it can be safe. Some are way over built from the start and some aren't. In most cases the sabot is gunna blow first anyway but i wouldn't want to test that theory.
But in Doc's world - he did not shoot sabots he shot artillery lead so the BP better be strong...

Art.... totally agree...
sabotloader is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM
  #103  
Giant Nontypical
 
Gm54-120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,412
Default

Whites were way over built to start so they would likely be fine IMO.
Gm54-120 is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
  #104  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MD/PA Line
Posts: 598
Default

Grouse,
I got a few muzzleloaders in the safe. Your whole point IMO starting this thread was the try to say Knight and Lehigh are the best. I see your feathers are ruffled. I will post no more to your threads as you already have shown me enough. You find fault in every muzzleloader out there except Knights and praise a muzzleloader that you yourself has not shot, the Mountaineer. My age.......let's just say I have 7yrs till retirement.

I also have clues as to what I am talking about. I speak from products I have used. I shoot as much as I possibly can. I have shot Lehigh 185gr DOA bullets. I know they will shoot. I have also shot 195gr Barnes MZ's and they will shoot too.

GM54-120,
I do love my Green Mtn 54-120 Limited Edition Brush Gun. And yeah I know its basically a Knight!

Last edited by Omega45; 04-06-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Omega45 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 AM
  #105  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 3,732
Default

Stainless is way to soft. Actually not even safe to use...........................

That quoted statement was made by an ignorant shill, trying to create fear amongst the readers of this forum. This same individual made several other false statements afterward. I find it ironic, that i caused these false statements by trying to be humorous. It is as though these shill think that my tinkering around with ventliners will somehow be some kind of competition to Lehigh. That is so absurd, it is laughable.

Stainless is not too soft. Stainless does not need to be hardened. Stainless is not dangerous. What stainless is, is hard. If stainless wasn't so hard, it would be used to make breech plugs and ventliners. It isn't economical to use stainless, is why business' trying to make money don't use it.
ronlaughlin is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 AM
  #106  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,037
Default

I have a hard time knowing if these comments have their roots in a genuine concern for safety or Randy Wakeman style fear mongering.
I am a woodworker and freely admit my knowledge of metalurgy is lacking. I know the pressures on the breech plug are very high but to me the ventliners appear safe in design, (I don't see how the head of a ventliner could ever come through the hole and come back and bite you), much safer than a nipple threaded in from the other side.
flounder33 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 AM
  #107  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin View Post
That quoted statement was made by an ignorant shill, trying to create fear amongst the readers of this forum. This same individual made several other false statements afterward. I find it ironic, that i caused these false statements by trying to be humorous. It is as though these shill think that my tinkering around with ventliners will somehow be some kind of competition to Lehigh. That is so absurd, it is laughable.

Stainless is not too soft. Stainless does not need to be hardened. Stainless is not dangerous. What stainless is, is hard. If stainless wasn't so hard, it would be used to make breech plugs and ventliners. It isn't economical to use stainless, is why business' trying to make money don't use it.
ronlaughlin ,

The stainless you are using is soft. You are the one selling products to members for money. Breech plugs vent-liners etc. I have nothing for sale.

Your sending parts to people to use and you have no idea how safe or not safe they are. Just like when you drive down over the hill and shoot a gun out the window of your truck up into the woods in Turkey season. And you wonder why those Turkey hunters are yelling at you. You have no concern of safety at all.

The breech plugs that you sent to MD were horrible. I would not mail **** like that to anyone. I'm surprised he even put them in his gun to tell you the truth.

Everything that i have wrote on this thread is my opinions and mine only. As for the stainless you are using anyone can check and see how good that really is for themselves. Actually a few already have.

Keep trash talking my friend, you will get the attention you need.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM
  #108  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by flounder33 View Post
I have a hard time knowing if these comments have their roots in a genuine concern for safety or Randy Wakeman style fear mongering.
I am a woodworker and freely admit my knowledge of metalurgy is lacking. I know the pressures on the breech plug are very high but to me the ventliners appear safe in design, (I don't see how the head of a ventliner could ever come through the hole and come back and bite you), much safer than a nipple threaded in from the other side.
I would think you are correct. The problem would be if it erroded and the powder went down into the breech plug. What are the chances of that????? I just dont like taking chances. I think Doc White even shoots smokeless in some of his guns. I would think he is doing things the right way.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 AM
  #109  
Boone & Crockett
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Comance county, OK
Posts: 11,353
Default

Stainless is not too soft. Stainless does not need to be hardened. Stainless is not dangerous.
What Ron said. A grade 8 stainless steel bolt is much stronger than anything required of muzzleloader breech plug.
falcon is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 AM
  #110  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
What Ron said. A grade 8 stainless steel bolt is much stronger than anything required of muzzleloader breech plug.
falcon, it's not just about hardness. Its gas cutting and fire.
Grouse45 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.