Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Back to the Mountaineer rifle. No doubt it's a good rifle. However, it appears that Knight does not make much of that gun. The barrel is made by Green Mountain, the breechplug and bolt by LeHigh and the ramrod by Easton.

What part of the gun does Knight actually manufacture?
Nada, which is probably the reason there expensive. Ray
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
You are incorrect when you write that this stainless is significantly weaker than hardened steel. If you check, you will see that the 18-8 stainless fastener has more tensile strength than a grade 5 steel fastener, which is a hardened steel.
Sorry ronlaughlin, your wrong again.

stainless steel can not be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Nada, which is probably the reason there expensive. Ray
That's a good point. But why are the T/C'S so expensive? I could be wrong, but i though most parts were made right at T/C. Even the barrels????
Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Sorry ronlaughlin, your wrong again.

stainless steel can not be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.
What you haven't proven is that Ron's vent liner isn't more than strong enough to do the job. Just because someone else makes it stronger, doesn't mean Ron's will fail.

I don't understand why you're pushing this so hard?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Im with you Semi.......enjoyed reading the post only problem I have is the ****ey replys. Before someone makes a certain statement how about a little background of ones expertise. Another question comes to my mind is what about all those guns that cost 1/3 the price of say a T/C or Knight. Are they using inferior products?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What you haven't proven is that Ron's vent liner isn't more than strong enough to do the job. Just because someone else makes it stronger, doesn't mean Ron's will fail.

I don't understand why you're pushing this so hard?
I have proven everything that i said.

To be honest, why even test something that you already no is not better? Maybe to save money, but in his case he's not when you factor time and materials. A savage vent-liner cost $3.00 bucks and will last most people several years with BH209.

Muley Hunter, i don't like being called a liar. I am far from perfect, and make many mistakes. A liar i am not. That is what ruffled my feathers.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
The worst thing that could happen with even the softest vent liner is rapid erosion of the flash hole.

What you said above i agree 100%

Now if that rapid erosion happens at the range, and powder drops into the breech plug???? Just ask Henry Ball what could happen.

I should also explain this. The quality of the breech plug makes a difference as well. A high quality plug will make a difference versus a cheap soft cva plug.

Last edited by Grouse45; 04-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good point. But why are the T/C'S so expensive? I could be wrong, but i though most parts were made right at T/C. Even the barrels????
C'mon grouse, your on your heels now lol.$800.00 for a LRH that uses a plastic primer holder? then more $$ so it fires clean with the Lehigh kit? let's not go there my friend. Ray
Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have proven everything that i said.

To be honest, why even test something that you already no is not better? Maybe to save money, but in his case he's not when you factor time and materials. A savage vent-liner cost $3.00 bucks and will last most people several years with BH209.

Muley Hunter, i don't like being called a liar. I am far from perfect, and make many mistakes. A liar i am not. That is what ruffled my feathers.

I agree about being called a liar. That gets me upset too. Especially when someone thinks they have you figured out from a few posts.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have proven everything that i said..........................................
If you believe this you are delusional.

Information available read that 18-8 stainless has a tensile strength of 125,000 psi. The tensile strength of hardened grade 5 steel is read at 120,000 psi. Numbers in print indicate that stainless is stronger than grade 5 hardened steel, which you have written isn't true.

Very very little of what you have written is 'proven', let alone true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.