Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I understand, but you don't have to build something strong enough to withstand twice what it's designed to do.

If someone screws up and double loads their gun and it has problems. Who's fault is that?

It doesn't matter what you or I think it matters what a shrud lawyer can make a group of people think and how much money he has to make them think that.... and accidents do happen... that is why we try to build in a margin of error...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
It doesn't matter what you or I think it matters what a shrud lawyer can make a group of people think and how much money he has to make them think that.... and accidents do happen... that is why we try to build in a margin of error...
A double load is a big margin.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

what'd i miss during my 2 day camping trip?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
what'd i miss during my 2 day camping trip?
Make a cup of coffee, and start reading.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

hell im on cup #2! LOL

Just read and rather not get involved LOL
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Omega45 ,

The Triumph right out of the box is a much better ML then the Encore, Endeavor etc.
Hey watch it!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I copied these definitions, and psi numbers off the internet.

Yield Strength:
The maximum load at which a material exhibits a specific permanent deformation

So the 18-8 stainless will begin to deform at 80,000 psi. 80,000 psi will not cause the 18-8 stainless to fail, just bend.

Tensile Strength:
The maximum load in tension (pulling apart) which a material can withstand before breaking or fracturing.

The 18-8 stainless has a tensile strength of 125,000 psi. One can see that it takes considerable more pressure to actually break 18-8 stainless when one tries to pull it apart.

One should also consider, when used as a ventliner, the 18-8 stainless is being used in compression, not tension. It seems apparent to me, that when used as a ventliner, the 18-8 stainless is considerably stronger than the 125,000 psi of tension, and as such, probably won't be the first component to fail, if one double or triple loads, or worse; a muzzle loader.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
I copied these definitions, and psi numbers off the internet.

Yield Strength: The maximum load at which a material exhibits a specific permanent deformation

So the 18-8 stainless will begin to deform at 80,000 psi. 80,000 psi will not cause the 18-8 stainless to fail, just bend.

Tensile Strength: The maximum load in tension (pulling apart) which a material can withstand before breaking or fracturing.

The 18-8 stainless has a tensile strength of 125,000 psi. One can see that it takes considerable more pressure to actually break 18-8 stainless when one tries to pull it apart.

One should also consider, when used as a ventliner, the 18-8 stainless is being used in compression, not tension. It seems apparent to me, that when used as a ventliner, the 18-8 stainless is considerably stronger than the 125,000 psi of tension, and as such, probably won't be the first component to fail, if one double or triple loads, or worse; a muzzle loader.
I didnt reply to your last comment so you would have the last word.

The information you supplied will show how week the metal is in comparison to the grade 8 steel that should be used. Like i have said all along. The stuff you are using is the cheapest imported Stainless steel that you can buy. And soft in comparison as well.

You supplied 1/2 the information so far. Maybe when you supply the other half you will understand. Only time will tell.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

One might begin to be concerned if one of those stainless liners ever deforms enough to close of open up the flash hole. Until that happens (like never), I wouldn't worry in the least.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
........................You supplied 1/2 the information so far. Maybe when you supply the other half you will understand. Only time will tell.
This statement confuses me. All the information i have available, about 18-8 steel has been provided. I don't know anything else. If you wish, we can agree that i indeed, do not understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.