Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Ray, i do like how the 260's performed on the target but most importantly, the struggle they gave me in catching them in my 5 gallon sand bucket. They are a hard hitting bullet thats for certain.

I have some more coming for more testing so till then, time to stock up on shooting material so i can stop these suckers.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Its very simple. I have said from the beginning that 18-8 is cheap,soft and weak compared to grade 8 steel.
Ok it is conceded that Grade 8 steel is much harder than 18-8 SS. That still does not answer my question. Does a vent liner need to made from a steel as hard as grade #8 steel just because it is stronger than 18-8 SS? If it is being implied that vent liners should be made out of grade #8 steel instead of 18-8 SS just because grade #8 steel is harder than 18-8 SS is there a steel harder than grade #8? Shouldn't a vent liner be made out of a steel stronger than grade #8 if there is one? Where does the equation end? When is strong enough, strong enough? I am absolutely not taking sides in this I am just being curious and have really learned a lot from this thread.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=SJAdventures;3796435]Ok it is conceded that Grade 8 steel is much harder than 18-8 SS.

Thank You
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Ok it is conceded that Grade 8 steel is much harder than 18-8 SS. That still does not answer my question. Does a vent liner need to made from a steel as hard as grade #8 steel just because it is stronger than 18-8 SS?
I would say no. You could use a lower grade steel if hardened and treated properly to resist gas cutting and wear. This is my opinion only. I have no facts to support that.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Ok it is conceded that Grade 8 steel is much harder than 18-8 SS............

When is strong enough, strong enough? I am absolutely not taking sides in this I am just being curious and have really learned a lot from this thread.
I once had this very discussion with Dave about this very subject... He explained it so that any engineer would understand it perfectly and then he tried to simplfy it for me... I really do wish I could remember exactly how and what he said, but I do not.

What promted his answer... was my question to him about the hardening process that his liners go through. I made note of the fact that Doc White had his breech plugs, and I am assuming the 'flash hole' hardened to some really high number on the Rockwell scale. He was very proud of the fact that his BP's could and would outlast just about any one elses BP's, even though it cost him extra dollars to have this process done.

When I mentioned all of this to Dave his comments went along the line, 'that you can harden the vent liner much harder than Doc suggested and of course you can choose to not harden any more than the metal demands'. He then explained that there are metals that are best for this application and there is and 'ideal' level of hardness to prevent premature wear and or failure of the metal for the longest period of time. When I suggested stainless is probably the best metal for the liner he disagreed and suggested another metal, of course a metal that I have never heard of, as SS would fail or gas cut quicker (I am not sure which term was his actual term) than other metals. Then he explained the hardening process had to be completed in the correct manner to be valid. It is not a simple heating process.

I really wish I could remember all of the information... but the jist of the conversation was as described above.

If I can remenber I will ask him to explain again or at the least suggest which metal might be the best for survival?

One thing I know the Savage liner is not stainless and as I look at the PR vent liner I do not believe it to be stainless either.

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have spoken the magic words

Mugga doodle bappa sic hem malaya.

I will now lift my magic goblet and this entire thread will disappear.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I have spoken the magic words

Mugga doodle bappa sic hem malaya.

I will now lift my magic goblet and and this entire thread will disappear.
I can only say - I wish!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need a magic goblet Sabotloader (about three ounces of single malt will do).
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Hmmm and to think, thousands of shots on a .035" flash hole in my QRBP and no erosion wear.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Hmmm and to think, thousands of shots on a .035" flash hole in my QRBP and no erosion wear.
DAMN! Maybe just one more ounce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.