Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got omega

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Best load I have tried out of mine is a STS primer, 85 gr. of BH209, and a Horandy 350gr. FPB.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

There is no way I would get a Red Cr down my Omega, even with a HPH-12 it is a real effort. The HPH-24 works very well for me both in the Omega and the Triumph.

This is a velocity table I started started last year and never finished - maybe this spring I will get back at it...

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What in the world does TC put in the bores? I've gone through 50 patches so far. If I didn't know better, i'd say it looks like rust.

With a new gun I always start with brake cleaner. I soak a patch in BC and then run dry patches until it comes out clean. I've done that 6 times now, and every time I run a wet patch of BC through it looks like the first time. Brownish red crud. 5-6 dry patches and it starts to come clean, but if I run another wet one it starts all over again.

I've run a brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool through the bore with some rust remover. I've run some Break Free paste through. Followed by more brake cleaner and dry patches. I'm still getting brown red crud with a wet patch.

The bore looks as shiny as can be, but the crud is baffling me. I'm going to pump soapy water through it and see if that helps.

Any ideas?

When I got it dry once I tried some bullets to see how tight the bore is. I had a sample of bullets that Thor sent me. The .500 fell right through. The .501 seems perfect. The gun came with a sample of 5 Shockwave sabots. They went down the bore fine.

I'll be a happy camper if I can just get the patches to come out clean.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What in the world does TC put in the bores? I've gone through 50 patches so far. If I didn't know better, i'd say it looks like rust.

With a new gun I always start with brake cleaner. I soak a patch in BC and then run dry patches until it comes out clean. I've done that 6 times now, and every time I run a wet patch of BC through it looks like the first time. Brownish red crud. 5-6 dry patches and it starts to come clean, but if I run another wet one it starts all over again.

I've run a brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool through the bore with some rust remover. I've run some Break Free paste through. Followed by more brake cleaner and dry patches. I'm still getting brown red crud with a wet patch.

The bore looks as shiny as can be, but the crud is baffling me. I'm going to pump soapy water through it and see if that helps.

Any ideas?

When I got it dry once I tried some bullets to see how tight the bore is. I had a sample of bullets that Thor sent me. The .500 fell right through. The .501 seems perfect. The gun came with a sample of 5 Shockwave sabots. They went down the bore fine.

I'll be a happy camper if I can just get the patches to come out clean.
My new Triumph came with a bore ful of some sort of preservative that has a lot of copper in it...

When I cleaned mine I used a bore solvent followed by JB's...

Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a .50 caliber brush here is one way I have found to get it really clean. I oil a patch, lay it over the muzzle and push the patch down the bore going a few inches scrubbing all the way down. It will be tight but will get it spotless in a few patches. It seems like you have it pretty good now if loading one of the TC Shockwaves in the supplied sabot go down nicely. Alternate from oil patch to dry patch and it should help the cleanup go quicker. Pull the breechplug and push it all the way through for the last few patches.

I do not think we would hear of tight TC bores if they did not put all the packing lube in the bore for shipping. Most just load and fire then it gets baked in there.

Last edited by Omega45; 02-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't be as worried if it didn't have a rust look to the patches.

I'll keep working on it.

On the plus side. I love the gun.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, lots of scrubbing and a pile more patches.

She's squeaky clean, lubed up, and ready to go.

I ordered a Simms Limbsaver recoil pad for it. It will help my bum shoulder.

I ran all the Shockwave sabots and they went down just right. Not too loose or too tight.

As long as I use BH 209 I should be ok with sabots.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be thankful you never had to clean any of the early 1980s gunshow Mauser, SKS or AKs dipped in cosmoline. Unless you have a gallon or two of CLP, you might as well use kerosene or diesel fuel.

Then you could start cleaning it with some Hoppes copper cleaner.

BTW parts cleaner works pretty good when the grease gets tough from drying out. Let it soak a bit then take a patched brush to it.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-25-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ever try the Thor bullets? It's made by Barnes for Thor. No skirt or sabot needed. It's like the Hornady FTB, but a better bullet. It looks just like your avatar when shot.

Some guys love them.

http://thorbullets.com/
Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never mind. I just did a search, and it seems the Omega is built to use sabots. So, that's what i'll use.

I guess that's why it came with a sample of sabots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.