Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got omega

Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Spike

Default just got omega

Hey I just bought a new Thomson Center Omega yesterday from cabelas. But now have some questions, to those who have this gun. How much powder have u found works best, and or pellets? Also a scope I was thinking a 3x9x40 but not trying to spend over 300. Any help would be great. Now I just gottaa wait til november to hunt with it!!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

RedNeckSape, I shoot a T/C Triumph and T/C Black Diamond and my results are similiar to some of the guys who have the Omegas.

My load combos are pretty much standard-issue but work great for me. I use Triple Seven ffg loose powder(100-110 grains). Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers. 250 grain Shockwave or Hornady SST(50 cal. sabot/45 cal. bullet combo). I'm getting good 3-5 shot groups with this set-up: 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards average with 1 1/4 inch groups not uncommon. I have also tried a few of the 200 grain Shockwaves with even better accuracy(3/4 inch at 100 yds.) and looking forward to testing more of them.

The T/C U-View clear powder measure works great with loose powder.

Check out Warne Maxima scope rings and Warne 1-piece base for scope mounting

There are a heckuva lot of good scopes out there for up to $300.00. Four scopes i have heard good things about in the $200-$300 range:

Bushnell Elite 3200
Burris Fullfield 2
Nikon Omega
Leupold Ultimate Slam

Look at swfa.com or opticsplanet.com for good deals on scopes if you don't have anything local. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by quake; 02-23-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: add more info.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have a .50 and .45 Omega. Both are excellent shooters.

First thing before taking it to the range and firing it is to give the bore a good cleaning. I tight patch with Hoppes or oil of your choice ran down the bore will remove whatever TC puts in the bore for protection. If not removed it will fire harden and make clean up a pain. I personally use JB Bore Conditioner on my TC barrels (new or used) as they are normally tight and this helps smooth the bore for reduced loading pressure. JB is non embedding and will not hurt accuracy.

What works for me in the .50 Omega is a .452 250gr Speer Deep Curls in a Harvester crushed rib sabot, 100-110gr by volume of Blackhorn 209 ignited by a Federal 209A primer. This load results in cloverleafs at 100yds and leaves nice holes in the target. Another choice is Harvester's 260-300gr Scorpion PT bullet with crushed rib sabot using the same charge and primer. After each range session clean the bore and use a 1/8" drill bit spun by hand to remove built up carbon from the breech plugs fire channel.

I have been putting Dednutz DNZ scope mounts on my TC's and have found they work great. As far as scopes there are many out there that are great for under $300.00. I have 3 muzzleloader specific scopes, Leatherwood TBML 3-9x40, Nikon BDC 250, and Bushnell Trophy DOA 250. Out of the three i really like the Bushnell. If its a rifle scope you want on there they will work just fine as I have a 4.5-14x40 Leupold on my .50 Omega.

As far as powder I stick with Blackhorn 209 however if you wish to use Triple 7 2F loose powder of pellets it will require swabbing between shots.

Have fun with your new gun!!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got my first muzzloader this past season and it was also an Omega. Is yours a synthetic stock or the laminate thumbhole stock? Depending on your answer, there may be a thread or two by Sabotloader you might want to review (there may be some stock modification required if you are getting a synthetic).

I have had good success with the following:

• 260 gr Harvester Scorpion PT Gold bullets w/ Harvester black crush rib sabot, 90 gr BH209, CCI 209M Primer – I get 1 MOA with this setup. However, I’m going to do some more experimenting with an increase in powder charge and using the RED crush rib sabot, which is designed for use with smokeless powder (since it has a nitrocellulose base, BH209 is widely considered to be smokeless powder with the smoke added). I’ll eventually try the 300 gr PT Gold bullet when I have enough coin to do so. As far as terminal performance goes, I killed a buck at 150 yards and he only went about 10 yards and had a massive blood trail. The shot was right where I put it, too.
• Leopold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40 scope mounted on the DNZ (Dead Nutz) Game Reaper low one-piece mount/rings (HIGHLY recommend the DNZ!!)
• SpinJag loader and starter (also HIGHLY recommend those products).

I have had good success cleaning the BH209 with Hoppe’s, Gunzilla, and Blue Wonder solvents. If you use BH209, you’ll need to keep the carbon build up in your breech plug’s flash channel at bay with a 1/8” drill bit (twist by hand or use variable speed drill SLOWLY). I also use XF7 lubricant (grease) on the breech plug and I have never had any difficulty removing it.

My Omega was a bit sporadic at first, but I feel 95% confident that it was because the barrel was a little rough around the edges. I took some 0000 steel wool and wrapped it around a cleaning jag and, with the use of some solvent, did about 50 passes down the barrel. The gun has not been sporadic since. Some use JB’s bore paste to accomplish this. I just didn’t have access to any and I don’t feel the steel wood did any harm. Now, if I used steel wool all the time and the barrel, that would be different.

If your Omega’s barrel is blued, keep it clean and oiled (inside and out)…NO MATTER WHAT POWDER YOU ARE USING. Don't wait a couple days after your range session to clean it. I have found that my Omega’s barrel is EXTREMELY susceptible to rust. I have no idea if the stainless steel barrels are the same way…I would hope not. I will be applying Dyna-Bore Coat to the…you guessed it, bore, and will probably be painting the exterior of the barrel…camo, of course!!...to take care of the rust issues.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 on Omega 45 write up. I agree with all he said. My Omega happens to top out at 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 then accuracy starts down hill but that sort of difference is normal. I suggest starting at 90 gr and working up by no more than 10 gr increments and personally I use 5 gr increments. be safe and have a good time.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
I have a .50 and .45 Omega. Both are excellent shooters.

First thing before taking it to the range and firing it is to give the bore a good cleaning. I tight patch with Hoppes or oil of your choice ran down the bore will remove whatever TC puts in the bore for protection. If not removed it will fire harden and make clean up a pain. I personally use JB Bore Conditioner on my TC barrels (new or used) as they are normally tight and this helps smooth the bore for reduced loading pressure. JB is non embedding and will not hurt accuracy.

What works for me in the .50 Omega is a .452 250gr Speer Deep Curls in a Harvester crushed rib sabot, 100-110gr by volume of Blackhorn 209 ignited by a Federal 209A primer. This load results in cloverleafs at 100yds and leaves nice holes in the target. Another choice is Harvester's 260-300gr Scorpion PT bullet with crushed rib sabot using the same charge and primer. After each range session clean the bore and use a 1/8" drill bit spun by hand to remove built up carbon from the breech plugs fire channel.

I have been putting Dednutz DNZ scope mounts on my TC's and have found they work great. As far as scopes there are many out there that are great for under $300.00. I have 3 muzzleloader specific scopes, Leatherwood TBML 3-9x40, Nikon BDC 250, and Bushnell Trophy DOA 250. Out of the three i really like the Bushnell. If its a rifle scope you want on there they will work just fine as I have a 4.5-14x40 Leupold on my .50 Omega.

As far as powder I stick with Blackhorn 209 however if you wish to use Triple 7 2F loose powder of pellets it will require swabbing between shots.

Have fun with your new gun!!
X3 on this great advise! Ray
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Spike

Thank you all for the great advice, this weekend im gonna start my experimenting. I will post my results! Thanks again all
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just bought an Omega too. I don't see any sense in starting another thread on the same subject. Hope you don't mind Redneck?

In the past I used mostly traditional muzzleloaders. (Hawkens). I did try a couple of CVA inlines, but not for long. I wanted to try a TC, and I like the Omega. It's so hard to get a ML tag in my area of Colorado i've settled on just shooting the rifle season with a ML. This way I can scope it and use sabots.

I have no experience with sabots, so i'm sort of lost. I did know buying the gun that it would have a tight bore. My plan was to use the Barnes T-EZ bullets and sabots. I do love the performance of the all copper bullet. After reading a lot on this forum on sabots in the Omega i'm thinking i'll have a hard time loading the Barnes. Is that right? I have a Gift Card for BPS, and I was planning on getting them there to use up the card. My local gun shop doesn't stock any sabots, because of not being legal here during ML season, but he can order most anything for me. I just hate ordering and spending money on ammo that doesn't work.

Should I lap the bore with JB Bore Conditioner before even trying any sabots? I'm more of a hunter than someone who loves to shoot at the range. I know I need to put in my time at the range, but if i can at least start with a combination that has a chance to work i'll be happy.

I'd like to stay at 250 gr for a bullet. Maybe some links for where I can buy what you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muley Hunter

I will just give my opinion on using JB on a new rifle. I use just a little the first time, just enough to clean out any nasty package lube. Then finish up with Hoppes and wipe it dry for inspection.

I usually like to try a few sabots for fit and then go shoot it. Since its a T/C you might need to give it a really good cleaning and a few extra passes of JBs. They can run on the tight side and they have some heavy packing lube sometimes.

JBs is really more of a good polish and cleaner than a true lapping compound. It will put a hell of a nice shine on it though and help reduce fouling/loading resistance.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Muley Hunter

I will just give my opinion on using JB on a new rifle. I use just a little the first time, just enough to clean out any nasty package lube. Then finish up with Hoppes and wipe it dry for inspection.

I usually like to try a few sabots for fit and then go shoot it. Since its a T/C you might need to give it a really good cleaning and a few extra passes of JBs. They can run on the tight side and they have some heavy packing lube sometimes.

JBs is really more of a good polish and cleaner than a true lapping compound. It will put a hell of a nice shine on it though and help reduce fouling/loading resistance.
Ok, I can do that. I usually use brake cleaner to get out factory lube, but i'm open for suggestions.

Do you think I can get the Barnes to load with the sabots it comes with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.