HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - just got omega
Thread: just got omega
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

What in the world does TC put in the bores? I've gone through 50 patches so far. If I didn't know better, i'd say it looks like rust.

With a new gun I always start with brake cleaner. I soak a patch in BC and then run dry patches until it comes out clean. I've done that 6 times now, and every time I run a wet patch of BC through it looks like the first time. Brownish red crud. 5-6 dry patches and it starts to come clean, but if I run another wet one it starts all over again.

I've run a brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool through the bore with some rust remover. I've run some Break Free paste through. Followed by more brake cleaner and dry patches. I'm still getting brown red crud with a wet patch.

The bore looks as shiny as can be, but the crud is baffling me. I'm going to pump soapy water through it and see if that helps.

Any ideas?

When I got it dry once I tried some bullets to see how tight the bore is. I had a sample of bullets that Thor sent me. The .500 fell right through. The .501 seems perfect. The gun came with a sample of 5 Shockwave sabots. They went down the bore fine.

I'll be a happy camper if I can just get the patches to come out clean.