Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Help on Great plains .54 Perc  kit >

Help on Great plains .54 Perc kit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help on Great plains .54 Perc kit

Old 07-27-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Help on Great plains .54 Perc kit

After seeing a video about muzzleloading I just had to have one. So I got got on the internet and searched and researched and finaly found the right one a Lyman Great plains 54. Perc. I ordered the Great Plains Perc 54. Kit and almost everything else I needed to start ML from Midsouth.Welll, I got the that brown package thursday. Everything I ordered came ( no back order ) in that box.
yesterday I got out the kit and made sure everything was there and it was. Allthough I think there is somthing wrong with the Breech plug where it connects to the tang. In the instructions it has a picture of the Breech plug where you can see the hook but also where the hook connects there is a round plug thing that sticks out say mabey 1-3 mm that is in the instructions though. On the barrel in the kit though there is a hook but no round plug the sticks out ( its flush with the barrel), but on the tang where the hook slides in the tang it is inletted for that plug. This seems to make a very poor contact with the breech, if the plug stuck out 1-3mm I am sure that it would make for perfect fit. I hope yall can understand what I am trying to say. Many many thanks for your input and if one yall can post a pic of your breech on a Great plains percusion rifle.

Thanks again,
p.s. Feel free to ask as many ??? as you need to.

Trevor
Old 07-27-2003, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Help on Great plains .54 Perc kit

I' m not exactly sure I understand what you' re talking about, but as long as the hook on the breech plug isnt broken off, it will work fine. All it does is keep the back end of the barrel from lifting out of the tang. Its not required that the fit be real tight. The barrel keys keep it in place. The hook is just there to secure it to the tang. (the barrel that is) You will enjoy that rifle, all the ones Ive fooled with were good shooters.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:05 PM

This is the plug thing I am talking about. On my barrel its flush.

Old 07-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The instructions & photos in the kit are generalized sometimes & are shipped to more than one rifle model in their rifle lineup. In your situation, Lyman makes a 1-32 barrel GPH (and) a 1-60" barrel GPR.
I' m just guessing now, but one model may have that overextending plug & the other one doesn' t.

If you do not receive a proper response to your dilemma in the next few days, contact the manufacturer at 1-800-225-9626.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:29 PM

The thing that makes me think something is wrong is that the tang is inletted for just that size of plug. When I put the barrel and tang together and put pressure down on the barrel and up on the tang they give and then there is about a 1mm gap between them the same thing happens when I put them in the stock. I feel sure that if my barrel had the overextended plug it would not do this. But maybe it doesn’t matter but it is kind of unsightly. By the way I have the 1 in 60.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2003, 08:03 AM

Trevor,
I have the Lymans Great Plains Hunter (not the 1:60 like yours) at home, I' ll take a look at it tonight and let you know what it looks like tomorrow. In the mean time I would call Lyman if I had any questions, you never know if you go the 1 in a million barrel with some problem.