Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Xtp never again

Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Mannn Fritz! That is a beauty!

D
Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
You guys are killing "book bucks", 4 in 5 years? Lets see some pictures. Here is a couple of pictures of my B&C buck, Only fortunate enough to have killed 1. 210 1/8 B&C. A 130 class buck is far from a book buck.

Well let's not get too high n the Horse, that's a Dandy Buck for sure, but a 140 Class Buck where I live will get you into the NYS Big Buck Club and as far as I know a 125 Class will still get you into Pope and Young with a Bow. It all depends on what weapon you use.
If I knew how to post some Pics on here I'd show you a few nice Bucks, not just one. Again though, Nice Buck!
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Deer don't go far with a double lung or heart shot
shot placement is the key
Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Well let's not get too high n the Horse, that's a Dandy Buck for sure, but a 140 Class Buck where I live will get you into the NYS Big Buck Club and as far as I know a 125 Class will still get you into Pope and Young with a Bow. It all depends on what weapon you use.
If I knew how to post some Pics on here I'd show you a few nice Bucks, not just one. Again though, Nice Buck!
(BP)
Well here is more than just one, that is just the one i put up, here are some more.

I dont consider a buck a book buck unless he makes minumum Booone & Crockett, I have a room full of Pope and Young class deer, not hard to get one of those.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I get confused with T/C's new terms.
You're not the only one. TC uses the term "Mag Express sabots" to describe some of their packaged bullets aAnc sabots. The bullet is the plain old XTP not the Magnum version.

Found out that i have some 240 grain .452 XTP Magnum bullets that came with the short black MMP sabot. Not sure which sabot comes with the 240 grain .430 bullets: Been buying my bullets and sabots in bulk for many years.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Well here is more than just one, that is just the one i put up, here are some more.

I dont consider a buck a book buck unless he makes minumum Booone & Crockett, I have a room full of Pope and Young class deer, not hard to get one of those.
OK Fritz, now were even.....Nice Bucks, where do you live that produces them Trophy Class Animal's?
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Northern Idaho.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
You're not the only one. TC uses the term "Mag Express sabots" to describe some of their packaged bullets aAnc sabots. The bullet is the plain old XTP not the Magnum version.

Found out that i have some 240 grain .452 XTP Magnum bullets that came with the short black MMP sabot. Not sure which sabot comes with the 240 grain .430 bullets: Been buying my bullets and sabots in bulk for many years.
Yes there the Plain one's and Not the Magnum one's. The (Plain) one's are better though and dont have as Tough as a Jacket on them and do a much better job on Deer than the Mag's
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bucks Fritz. You are very lucky to have deer like that where you are. If you lived where I do, getting a P&Y class buck would be a HUGE accomplishment. There just aren't many around in my area, unfortunately. A few years back there was like 10 in my county EVER.

Getting a B&C buck....it ain't happening. You'd have a better chance at winning the lottery - twice. LOL
Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Also a Deer that is shot will most likely take the same path to exit as it came in on, a well worn Deer Trail, ect. It more than likely just wont run straight through thick stuff as it excapes, it know's where it's headed. After it's on his Deer Run, it'll follow it untill he expire's and usuallly it will be off to one side or the other of the Deer Run. If you know the area you hunt then you should know the well established Deer Runs. Snow Help's a-lot, but is not necessary.
After the shot, especially if it run's into thick cover (LISTEN) to where it runs and is headed, mark and pinpoint that direction in your head and pick a Mark to pinpoint the exact location the Deer ran. The Deer will make a heck of a-lot of comotion as it runs off, many fail to LISTEN after the shot, they just LOOK.
If the shot is seen and it's a Lung Shot you will find your Deer, just Look. If it's a BAD Shot, Intestines, WAIT, do NOT go after the Deer. The Deer will often BED Down within 50-100yds and EXPIRE within 5 Hours. The Blood will be good at first and then peter off to drops, it will be Dark Blood. If you go after the Animal right away you will jump it from it's Bed and most likely Never Find it as it come's off the Bed there will be a few spot's of Blood, then Nothing to follow, and the Deer will run far, Bed again and Expire. If you Have Coyote's in the area and the shot was taken at night, you can pretty much forget finding you Deer in one piece, as going after it will be the same as the Coyote's finding it. Chock this one up to YOU and not eh Bullet's fault as YOU made the Bad Shot and will have to live with it.
Im talking from experience and being on a-lot of Tracking Jobs over the years, I and another one of My Friends are amongst the Best Deer Trackers around our area and were called by Friends and Friends Friends when were needed. We have also found Deer when our NYS DEER SEARCH TEAM with DOG's Yo BreechPlug well when you have the NYS DEER SEARCH TEAM/With DOGS LOL on stand by you know you are using the wrong bullets LoLz have been called to find Deer, and did'nt, we did, weather they were edible or not. And were not afraid to tell you, Sorry, your Deer wont be found.
I've been on just about every Deer Tracking Job that has happened, Rain, Snow, Dry, Windy (when the Blood on leaves get's blown away and you have to put a PATH in your head to follow when there' no sign to follow)
So it's not what Bullet you use, it's the shot you made, the time and day you decided to shoot, the weather at the time and How You as a Hunter put your Tracking Skills to work. Because Hunting is more than just pulling the Trigger, after the shot is when the work really start's. Sure it's great to see your Deer fall after the shot, but if it runs and keeps going, you better be prepared to find it with no excuses. It's not the Bullet's Fault, YOU Pulled the Trigger, blame it on yourself and no one else if you dont find you Deer.
(BP)
(BP)
Yo BreechPlug ? You know if you have the NYS SEARCH TEAM/with DOGs on stand by you know you are using the wrong bullets. LOL my bad sorry 4 the typo BreechPlug. WoW tho that is someting NYS SEARCH TEAM LOL.

Last edited by SmokeSeeker; 12-06-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.