Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Xtp never again

Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Spike

Thumbs down Xtp never again

I will never shoot XTP 240 or any Hornady bullet for Hunting again.IMO these bullets are for targets,I lostr a 130 class whitetail to these with a double lung shot the coyotes found the deer before I did.I will Start shooting BARNES or LEGIGH.I would like to see some feedback on this tell me what you think about XTP bullets.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

What happened? No Blood to follow? I shoot Barnes TEZ, you can't go wrong with a Barnes or Nosler Partition.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Spike

Yea no blood trail and I was in a jungle thick as heck
Old 12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I am guessing you found the deer. Where did you hit it, high or low? A double lung shot normally sprays blood. But then with deer you can never tell what you will find in the field. Too bad the coyotes got the buck. At least you got the horns.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always had good luck with hornady bullets, I have shot elk with xtp's, never had any problems. What didnt work with the bullet?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 0 experience with the XTP's. but there are many people on here who use them regularly and have very good luck with them.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

When in thick cover or swamps where tracking is tough, a high shoulder shot drops them in their tracks...
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option, that isn't so costly as them premium bullet you mentioned is the Deep Curl/Gold Dot.

Two inch hole into ribs, and two inch hole out of ribs using the 300g Deep Curl. Range was near 80 yard, and it all happened November 18.

One can't go wrong with this Nosler Partition either. The price is right, and the results on critter is reliable.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you take a Pic of the so-called double lung shot Deer. I hear the same story all the time, sorry If I dont believe it. I've used XTP's for over 15 years and shot so many Deer with them that I cant remember how many. I never ever lost a single Deer to one shot with a XTP. Plus I've never seen a Double Lung Shot Deer go so far after a shot that I could'nt find it, from anyone. And yes I've tracked Deer that ran into the Thick Stuff. Sorry just telling it like it is.
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
...........................Sorry just telling it like it is.(BP)
No need for an apology. Myself, i find your comments refreshing. However, i can picture a double lung shot deer running far enough in thick thick brush to escape cursory tracking. The fella shoulda had a partner like you; he woulda tagged his deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.