Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Does anyone use teflon tape on their breechplugs? >

Does anyone use teflon tape on their breechplugs?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does anyone use teflon tape on their breechplugs?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the white tape on my Omegas (2). I tried the pink stuff on each one once, it was WAY too thick.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader also turned me onto Teflon Tape, I use it all the time now. He said to get the (PINK) kind but I cant find it anywhere and I get some strange looks when I ask for it,LOL! It works great! Thank's Mike!
(BP)
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

AH something new for me to try, I've always used white lithium grease.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Fork Horn

I use the white teflon on my knights and my White 97. Been using it for 2 years, works great!! Thanks to sabotloader, Thanks Mike!!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Yes. One of the first things I picked up from the guys around here. Makes it much easier and cleaner, if your unloading at the end of a day of hunting.... no grease on the pellets or bullet!

I will say after my last range session, putting about 30 rounds through, I had to use the breech plug wrench on my Triumph. I realize now that I should have probably "cracked" the plug after every 5-6 shots!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are 3 grades of teflon tape commonly available:
white is 3 mils thick and .7 gm/cc density
pink is 3 mils thick and 1.35 - 1.50 gm/cc density
yellow is 4 mils thick and 1.35 - 1.50 gm/cc density

In common language that means the white & pink are the same thickness, but the pink is a lot tougher (heavier construction). The yellow is a little thicker and the same toughness as the pink.

I have a Traditions rifle that requires teflon tape on the threads if I want to get the breech plug back out with hand tools. With grease the dirt/crud blows back into the threads. The plug will break loose easily, but after a couple turns it locks up. I've tried several types of grease and powders and the result is always the same - impact wrench to remove the plug! With teflon tape it is hard to screw the plug in, but it comes out with the same pressure as it took to put it in.
I use the yellow tape on that rifle on it most of the time. (I keep all 3 types in my truck, I'm a plumber).

I would suggest using the tapes in the order of thickness/density from low to high and find out which works best for you.
Start with white, then try pink, then yellow. If the white screws in easily and a lot of dirt blows by, then try pink. If that goes in easy you might want to try yellow.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Spike

Default Pink Tape

Hey BreechPlug, Have you tried Home Depot or Lowe's. They both have it down this way in Orange Co. NY,
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Breechplug
If you buy the TC brand thats what you get.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

wabi
It sounds like you have a gall in the threads. You might try running a hand threader over them if thats what it is it will usually take care of the problem. You have metric threads so be sure to use the right ones.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bjhuntnut
Hey BreechPlug, Have you tried Home Depot or Lowe's. They both have it down this way in Orange Co. NY,
Yea I have been eveywhere, Home Depot, Value, Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply and all our Plumbing stores, nobody has Pink and like I said they look at me funny when I ask for it. You'd think someone other than Sabotloader and you guy's have heard of it around here! LOL. Befor too long I'll have my hands on some of the elusive Pink Teflon Tape!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.