HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone use teflon tape on their breechplugs?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 AM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

There are 3 grades of teflon tape commonly available:
white is 3 mils thick and .7 gm/cc density
pink is 3 mils thick and 1.35 - 1.50 gm/cc density
yellow is 4 mils thick and 1.35 - 1.50 gm/cc density

In common language that means the white & pink are the same thickness, but the pink is a lot tougher (heavier construction). The yellow is a little thicker and the same toughness as the pink.

I have a Traditions rifle that requires teflon tape on the threads if I want to get the breech plug back out with hand tools. With grease the dirt/crud blows back into the threads. The plug will break loose easily, but after a couple turns it locks up. I've tried several types of grease and powders and the result is always the same - impact wrench to remove the plug! With teflon tape it is hard to screw the plug in, but it comes out with the same pressure as it took to put it in.
I use the yellow tape on that rifle on it most of the time. (I keep all 3 types in my truck, I'm a plumber).

I would suggest using the tapes in the order of thickness/density from low to high and find out which works best for you.
Start with white, then try pink, then yellow. If the white screws in easily and a lot of dirt blows by, then try pink. If that goes in easy you might want to try yellow.