Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
DR Asus
Lehigh is manufacturing a vent replacement for the Savage smokeless powder gun.
Sabot loader and I are taking our old breach plugs that have the touch hole flame cut to the point where they loose accuracy and machining them to take the vent liner so we can replace the vent liner for 5 dollars instead of buying a new BP; you have to see what I pay for an Endeavor BP to believe it.
You mean you actually have to replace the BP. TC doesn't think so, This is the letter i received from TC about having a little blowback from my speedbreach.
Dear Sir,

The speed breach XT in the Endeavor is made very durable and should last for the life of the firearm if cared for properly. However the gas rings that are on the plug may over time become damaged. Where your are experiencing blowback I would ask you to send your firearm in to us here at Thompson Center 400 North Main Street Rochester NH 03867. And we can determine what is causing the problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee,
Dave will be very proud of your groups. Lehigh out shooting a FTX is really impressive. The FTX is probably my most accurate ML bullet ever shot. Great job.....I'll get those vent-liners for you.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Inrecordbookbuck
I have replaced 3 Omega and 1 Triumph breach plugs from flame cutting at the touch hole. Never had any problem with the rings or the "O" ring but when the accuracy falls off the first thing I check is the size of that hole and when it gets cut out and I replace that plug and the accuracy is right back where it should be, I assume I did the right thing. Lee
Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Lee,
Dave will be very proud of your groups. Lehigh out shooting a FTX is really impressive. The FTX is probably my most accurate ML bullet ever shot. Great job.....I'll get those vent-liners for you.
My Endeavor just likes those 200gr Lehigh. The smallest groups I have gotten from the Endeavor were with the 200gr Lehigh, and I do shoot a lot of different bullets. It seems like the more powder I put behind them the better they shoot. I am going to try the 185gr in the Triumph next time out and look for the right load for them. I really would like to try some vent liners, it would be fun to switch them in and out of the same gun and compare results.Lee
Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Hey Lee,
I thought the BH209 max load was only 120 grs? You stated that you had used 140 grs for one of your loads.

I hope all goes well with these heavy loads.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rafsob
I do my own pressure testing and set my own limits. From my own testing BH runs about 15% less pressure than 777 so when you load 120 gr of 777 and 135 gr of BH you get about the same pressure. I also know of some commercial companies that were test up to 150 gr of BH in guns with thoughts about publishing such loads for there guns. I never tell anybody to do what I do and one of the reasons for that is that all guns are not made of equal quality now and that some of the older ones should not have over 90 gr of any kind of powder shot in them. Every one has to be the judge of if what they do is safe or not and pay the consequences if its not. Also I was in the business at one time and have some equipment that most do not have access to. Lee
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Lee, I thought folks were getting higher velocities using the same load volume in bh then 777. Maybe we are talking apples and oranges but I just assumed bh had the higher pressures which resulted in higher velocities. When I used 100 gr equiv of 777 and bh it sure seem like the bh kicked worse in my gun.maybe im assuming worse kick means more pressure and more speed. anyway that is some great shooting;on my best day i couldnt match that.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Hey Lee,
I thought the BH209 max load was only 120 grs? You stated that you had used 140 grs for one of your loads.

I hope all goes well with these heavy loads.
Your manual on your Knight Vision show's 150grns being a safe load for certain weight bullets.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer 655
Its not quite that simple, think of it like this the pressure peak of 777 looks like a sharp peaked mountain the pressure peak of BH209 looks like a plateau its a combination of pressure and the length of the push that gives BH209 the added velocity this is partly due to the fact that it is a progressive burning powder while the other subs are a constant type powder Black is a low explosive which I am not going into. As for your question on velocity the best comparison is 777-FFF which is about the same up to 110 gr the BH209 walks away. [ we will ignore the fact that only rarely do you get good accuracy with heavy loads of FFF and good accuracy is normal with heavy loads of BH209 at least in my guns.
Lee

Last edited by lemoyne; 08-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Your manual on your Knight Vision show's 150grns being a safe load for certain weight bullets.
Yes it does, but I am talking about a powder companie's warning. The 150 gr limit is for the average BP or synthetic powders available. BH209 is a bit different from the average other powders. It is in a category by itself.

Lee is in a category of his own. I was talking about the average joe who is not savy to the differences in the advanced performances of these varrying powders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.