Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report

Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

When Pyrodex and 777 first came out the companies recommended to limit it to 100 gr if I remember correctly. The powder companies must recommend at a level that the poorest gun like the very early Spanish barrels are safe at even though they have been off the market for a long time there might be some body who is just getting in to the sport try to load those old hand bombs up to the same level every one else is using. The government should have made them recall , instead they tried to use them as an example of why people should turn in all their guns. Lee
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Yes it does, but I am talking about a powder companie's warning. The 150 gr limit is for the average BP or synthetic powders available. BH209 is a bit different from the average other powders. It is in a category by itself.

Lee is in a category of his own. I was talking about the average joe who is not savy to the differences in the advanced performances of these varrying powders.
Knight Rifles is shooting more BH209 then any other powder. Give them a call and they will tell you that 130 or 135grns of bh209 BY VOLUME has been the the most consistent and accurate load in Knight rifles tested. I have really found that to be true myself.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grouse,
I have been limiting myself to 140 gr of BH because I have always used the 150gr RS load as the pressure level I should not exceed. But I have to say its hard to draw the line when I started at 100 gr and every time I went up 10 the Endeavor shot that 200 gr Lehigh better, I think I should draw the line at this point but I want to see where that upper limit for accuracy is so bad I can taste it. Lee
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put Teflon on the vent liner and the Speed Breach Plug and went out to shoot some gongs and silhouettes used the Triumph to day and it shoots very flat and very hard hitting knocked the silhouettes end over end and shot what is normally my 200 yd mark out to 240 and was hitting the 240 6inch gong right in the middle. Hunting for muzzle loaders for deer is 6 or 7 weeks away and I am going boar hunting as soon as it cools a bit, I do not like to butcher in hot weather. Lee
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Lee; thanks for the explanation on the difference between 777 and blackhorn.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Grouse,
I have been limiting myself to 140 gr of BH because I have always used the 150gr RS load as the pressure level I should not exceed. But I have to say its hard to draw the line when I started at 100 gr and every time I went up 10 the Endeavor shot that 200 gr Lehigh better, I think I should draw the line at this point but I want to see where that upper limit for accuracy is so bad I can taste it. Lee
Lemoyne, with T/C guns you are probably wise to stop at 140grns. Though built good enough, T/C'S arent built like Knights. The perfect muzzleloader is a Disc Elite with a speed breech.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Lemoyne, with T/C guns you are probably wise to stop at 140grns. Though built good enough, T/C'S arent built like Knights. The perfect muzzleloader is a Disc Elite with a speed breech.

BRING ON THE SPEED BREECH:cool2 :
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Knight certainly made a good rifle, and the best one they never put on the market. But better than TC, I have my doubts about that. It really is to bad they shut down I hope some one buys Knight and brings out a simplified no blowback break action.
By the way I love them tubes use them all the time. Lee
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Well Knight certainly made a good rifle, and the best one they never put on the market. But better than TC, I have my doubts about that. It really is to bad they shut down I hope some one buys Knight and brings out a simplified no blowback break action.
By the way I love them tubes use them all the time. Lee
the all camo vision from sportsman guide came with a blowback FREE BP and shoots excellent,the stainless shadow i had but soldwas also blowback free with the addition of a cheap o-ring(thanks busta)and was also a great shooter despite it's marginal trigger.neither in my OPINION is as nice as my triumph but the two of them together costs the same as one plain triumph!Lane ilike your tubes too!i just got done filling 50 of them,range day is coming......karl......PS...one of the great things about the vision is it's ability to shoot about any powder-bullet combo well,it's not a picky ML
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

But better than TC, I have my doubts about that.
Most T/C guys dont think so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.