Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Inrecordbookbuck
I have replaced 3 Omega and 1 Triumph breach plugs from flame cutting at the touch hole. Never had any problem with the rings or the "O" ring but when the accuracy falls off the first thing I check is the size of that hole and when it gets cut out and I replace that plug and the accuracy is right back where it should be, I assume I did the right thing. Lee
I replaced 4-5 on my encore since i got it . Thats the reason i just went to a .25acp conversion and 777 . I feel its the loose fitting 209 primers ( bad seal ) that are doing the flame cutting and not the powder . IMO .Like i posted before this was using a new breech plug and firing off only 15-20 Winchester primers ( no powder) . I had flame cutting in the primer pocket and flames coming out the space between the receiver and barrel . The .25 acp conversion cured that for me .

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-27-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Utah Rob,
Agreed there can be a problem there, that's one of the reasons we enlarge the flame channel when we do the conversion [it then absorbs more of the pressure] when we do the conversion. The other thing I have found is that primer pockets and how tight the breach closes affects that. I look for the right fit by trying different primers and one fellow in the club had a problem that did not fix and I had to put a thin shin under the block that holds the firing pin to push it out more to ward the primer so it would hold it well enough to seal. Lee
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

lemoyne,
That picture of the Encore above seems like alot of blow back. I have owned two of them and had nothing like that at all. I wonder if that plug is wore out or poor machining????
Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grouse,
The tolerances between the breach plug and the block that holds the firing pin all go in the wrong direction causes that in about one in 200 Encores as far as I know the best answer is to shim the block out, it is an easy fix. The other possibility is the primer pocket is just to big. Some times using Winchester 209 for shot shell primers helps as they are the longest primer. Mostly the combination of the tolerances of the breach plug the barrel position and the firing pin block all go in the same direction on the same gun it just adds up to enough so that the primer is not held in place and so it blows back. Lee
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
lemoyne,
That picture of the Encore above seems like alot of blow back. I have owned two of them and had nothing like that at all. I wonder if that plug is wore out or poor machining????
It done that with all new plugs i have used , it doesn't do that until around the 10-12 primers are shot off and then the carbon builds up so bad it starts blocking the flash hole and there is too much pressure from the primer and the only place for it to go is back and around the primer. You should see what it looks like when i try that in the dark , looks like the 4th of July next to my receiver !!! Then it gets so bad i stop shooting !! The only thing that helped was drilling out the small hole down the center of the breech plug , but (almost)everyone warned me against doing so saying it would increase the blow back from the powder going off and could be dangerous . So i went with the .25acp and 777 and its no longer a issue . I don't find swabbing once between shots with 777 any big deal and feel that BH209 is way over rated for the $$$ . I can find 777 everywhere and its cheaper and with the .25 acp conversion i bet my breech plug last forever using a weaker primer the seal i is 100% , no flash cutting .plus there is nothing around the firing pin to clean up and i will have less problem with that area . So i don't mind NOT using BH209 all all !!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

UtahRob
After hunting season i would send that ML back to T/C with the standard plug in it. They will/should fix that problem for you. After they fix the problem you could go back to your ACP plug or stick with 209's.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grouse45
UtahRob
After hunting season i would send that ML back to T/C with the standard plug in it. They will/should fix that problem for you. After they fix the problem you could go back to your ACP plug or stick with 209's.
Probably the best solution unless you do some gunsmithing.
Lee