Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 cal vs 50

Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 45 cal vs 50

I retired in 1991, now I am just tired. I doubt if many if any here could be call rich, I would guess most of the retired incomes are below 60,000 I know mine is. Most people have a main hobby and that's where the spending money goes, some drink beer some monkey with fancy or hot cars, we shoot muzzle loaders. Lee
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aw Lee, please don't make it a choice between shooting and drinking beer.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Spike

I must say I enjoy shooting the 45 more than the 50.
If I had to have just one rifle, it would be the 50...

The 45 will actually out shoot the 50, albeit with a smaller range of projectiles.
The 50 is more versatile, and will shoot a wider variety of bullets quite well.

Why do some guys shoot exotic calibers in center fire?

Team Knight won the Nationals 6 years in a row and I'm told they did it with 45's.
I guess it make the sport interesting when you have more flavors to choose from.

Oh BTW...I'm 57, still work, shoot more than I should, and spend way to much time on forums.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

I retired in 2005 at the age of 55 after working for the state 32 years and eight months. God has been good to me and I consider myself not rich in the things of this world but rich in his mercy and love for me. As for muzzle loaders I own three 50 calibers two of which I still have not shot. I also have one 45 caliber knight disc elite that I have shot only a few times. Most of my shooting is done prior to the opening of muzzle loader season to sight in my rifle. I have nothing but respect for all the great guys who post their wealth of info on this forum for others to learn from.

WV Mountaineer
Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda went upscale after winning PowerBall.

.50 is .05 bigger than .45 but not necessarily better.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

I can say that I do own both .45 cal knights & .50 cal Knights , ALL are great guns
But out of all the deer I have killed over the many yrs. There has only been 1 Rifle
That I have shot deer with that they never took another step after being hit ! this rifle being my .45 cal wolverine 209
although I do shoot a 460 gr NEX Conical out of this gun ! I have another .45 cal that I shoot Saboted Bullets out of
and So I can not Agree that the .50 cal is superior to the .45 cal.
if I could only have 1 Rifle & load Combo I would Choose my Knight Wolverine 209 .45 cal. with the 460 gr. NEX Conical Every Time ! But that is just me

O and as far as being rich / Not me Brother !
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Spike

This reminds me of the debate I hear every year at black bear camp. .30-30, .270, .308, .30-06, 300 Win Mag ......
I have never been very loyal to any caliber, make of vehicle or even manufacturer of rifle. I try different ones
when I can with the limited income that I have. Family needs come first and my toys a distant 5th.

For PA whitetail deer, I have used .50 cal and .45 cal inlines and there was no difference in the results - a freezer
full of venison. Although .50 cal is very common, it is by no means the minimum. I plan to use a .45 Knight Elite
this year and I won't feel under gunned.

Pick something that will work for you and be gracious in accepting what others choose to use.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 better than 45? By what measure? Versitality of projectile? Yes. Components available? Yes. Performance? Well, how are you measuring that? Is a 200gr .40cal bullet out of a 50 somehow more lethal than a 45? Nope.

50 is popular by versitality. The 45 has some advantages for special applications -- slightly higher velocity and less sabot around a small caliber bullet.

I actually want my next "inline" to be a .357. Get a .357 1-14" twist barrel with a custom breechplug mounted on a Rem700 short action, and shoot the highest BC .357 bullet available (Nosler Partition, from what I can tell). This would be a legal ML in my state and a heck of a longer-range weapon.

Retired? Hah! Not by a long shot, I'm one of the younger guys here. Independently weathy? Nope, though 10 yrs of college and 3 degrees has left me in a relatively good spot in this economy -- and a healthy student loan payment. I can pay for shooting by being cheap elsewhere -- I drive the oldest car I've seen in the parking lot at work, it's been paid off for 6 years and I'm driving it until it is unreliable.

The sick part is I finally own a farm with a shooting range right out my back door and I shoot less than I did when I had a 2.5 hour drive to shoot. Increasing responsibilities cutting into my playtime.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Reese...It's not surpising...I have studied American History for over 40 yearsmainly because of the development of the American Long Rifle...I have read a period commentary where the author mentions that the Colonials prefer rifled barrel guns, with some preferring a smaller bore because the balls and powder needed to use weigh and cost less whereas some prefer a larger bore and the certain death that comes with a larger ball...
Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only own 1 ML right now, and it is a .45. Why? Because everyone and their grandma has a .50 and I wanted to be different when I got into muzzleloading. Is it superior to a .50? Not really. The only 2 advantages I've been able to determine are:

1. Can shoot light bullets at a higher velocity than a .50 with less powder. Is the velocity enough to make a big difference? Probably not, at least for most people.

2. A .45 can shoot .355 - .358 caliber bullets. Not many people do, but for special applications (small game, light-recoiling loads for kids, etc.) it can be useful.

3. A .45 is going to shoot conicals and Powerbelts flatter at long range because of a better BC. So for those limited to (or choose) conicals or Powerbelts, the .45 is a better choice if you're shooting long ranges.

Am I weathly? Heck no- right now I'm back in school after a 12 year hiatus & only have a part-time job- so right now I'm "student poor" and living in the big city, which means I rarely get to shoot. I'm really looking forward to the day in about 13 months when I graduate and (hopefully) get a job right away so I can shoot more and buy a couple more ML's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.