Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Two questions for Omega X7 owners >

Two questions for Omega X7 owners

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Two questions for Omega X7 owners

Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two questions for Omega X7 owners

Just purchased my first ML, an Omega X7, stainless. If it shoots half as good as it looks, I should have good luck next season.
With my job, three kids and an hour travel both ways, my range time is limited so I want to get as much info up front regarding my rifle. Two questions.
1. Recommended loads - I have been through the forum archives to get some advice from those with X7s on loads that work. What I have so far:
ronlaughlin uses 105g BH209, ignited by a Winchester shot gun primer, pushing a 300g Nosler in a crush rib sabot.

Semisane uses a 300 grain Speer Gold Dot in a Harvester short black sabot over 105 grains of T7 FFG (ignited by a CCI primer, I think).

spaniel’s two loads are [/b]200gr Shock Waves and 110gr T7 and 300gr PR Keith Nose HP 100gr T7 (primer?).

Curious is anyone else has experience with shooting the X7.

2. The peep sight – Most of my hunting is in thick cover on ridgelines so I plan to use the peep sight for at least a season or two.
Again searching the archives, it seems that there is a pretty common problem with the front sight being either too short or too tall. Apparently T/C did not realize that the tapered barrel would require a different sight. The good news is that T/C will replace the sight free of charge with a phone call. My question is whether I need a taller or shorter front sight. So my question is which one, taller or shorter sight? By reading older posts, I was not certain of the answer.
I know I should shoot my rifle to get the best answer for myself, but as I said, finding shooting time is tough right now and I want to answer as many questions as possible before I get out to the range.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two questions for Omega X7 owners

An additional load of mine is a 300gr Shockwave with 130gr 777 FFg.

Mine needed a taller front sight. I have heard someone else on here state that someone needed a shorter. When I called in the person on the phone almost assumed I needed the taller one...I'd call and ask them what they recommend. If in doubt, unfortunately the only thing to do to know for sure is shoot a load you think you want and find out.

One thing I will say as guidance -- when I ordered the tall sight I was shooting the flat-shooting 200gr SW/110gr 777 load. When I re-sighted last year for the 300gr SW/130gr 777 load, the tall front sight was almost too tall and the factory one would have been better (the rear sight was maxed out). So if you're going to try heavy bullets the factory may work fine, if you're going light and fast you may need the upgrade.

Have fun, I love it as a brush gun (though I rarely get to hunt brush anymore).
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mine needed a taller front sight also.

My first sight-in session was with 300 grain Gold Dots over 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. With the rear sight as far down as it would go that load was hitting 4 inches above point of aim at 25 yards.

Then I tried 200 grain 40 caliber XTPs in H5040 crush rib sabots over 70 grains of RS. That load was hitting 3 1/2" above point of aim at 25 yards.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

good luck with getting sights from tc that worked. I tried that twice before they told me that could not help me. 8" high @ 50 yards with a huge 405gr powerbelt and my sighted bottomed out isnt cool
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other bullets that work good in my X7 are the 45 caliber 300g gold dot, and the 300g xtp; the 44 caliber 300g xtp, the 270g gold dot. I most always use the Winchester 209 primer, the crush rib sabot, and 105g BH209. We know the Nosler is deadly on deer; this year we will see if the xtp and gold dot are also.

What happened with my X7 when shooting the heavier bullets is, they ended up shooting low at 100yd, and i wanted them to be some high. Using the peep, i didn't figure on shooting much further than 100yd at deer, and shooting a little low would have killed deer, but just in case i wanted to bullet to impact high at 100yd. So, i removed some material off the bottom of the front sight, and now the bullets impact a little high at 100yd with a little up adjustment left at the peepsight. Where the bullets are impacting now would allow a deer kill to near 150yd, if i do my part.

The X7 sure is a nice rifle to carry around whilst hunting. My neck and back never began aching during my hunts this past season like they always had in all the years past. Carrying a small light rifle without a scope is quite nice, even though it is hard for me to focus on the front sight. The important thing here is i filled all my tags, and did it comfortably. Once upon a time, i was sad we couldn't use scopes here, but now i am glad!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys. I called T/C regarding the front sight issue. I fessed up that I have not actually shot the rifle yet. The lady I talked to claimed she had not heard of the issue. She recommended that I get to the range before I switch out the front sight, and if I do have a problem, T/C would send me a different sight. Can't really argue with that.

Hope to get to the range in the next two weeks. In the meanwhile, I am trying to get an assortment of bullets/sabots. Unfortunately, a lot of bullets are scarce right now.

Last question, does one type of primer stand out as the most effective with Omegas? I will be useing either T7 or BH 209.

Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortunately, a lot of bullets are scarce right now.
Ain't that the truth. All of the bullets on my Wish List at Midway and Midsouth are listed as "Out of Stock - No Backorder".

I can't help you much with the primer question hubby. All I've ever used is CCIs, so I don't know if any of the others would give me better groups. DANG! Another thing I've got to try.

If you decide to go with a scope, I highly recommend the 4x ProDiamond - inexpensive at $40, clear and bright, lots of eye relief,and works great.