Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Most accurate, Worst, Favorite out of the box Muzzleloader. >

Most accurate, Worst, Favorite out of the box Muzzleloader.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Most accurate, Worst, Favorite out of the box Muzzleloader.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most accurate, Worst, Favorite out of the box Muzzleloader.

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

The most accurate muzzleloader out of the box is a toss up for me. The Knight Disc Elite and the T/C Triumph are really close. I’m going to leave that a tie.

The worst out of the box Muzzleloaders for me are the Encores. They take a lot of tweaking to get them to work right. Triggers, hinge pin, fouling in firing pin. A couple companies made a living on making the Encore better. I will mention when T/C copied the Triumph breech plug for the Endeavor it did take away the fouling.

My favorite Muzzleloader is no doubt the Encore. I just loved hunting with that gun. To most they are ugly, but looks don’t kill the animals. Mine was strictly for Muzzleloading, no CF barrels at all for me. It was also really easy to handle on a Quad as well. It was a great fit for me. It just takes some money to get it really good.

[/align]
The most accurate muzzleloader
That is easy, the 2nd time I shot my Savage with 300g SW, I shot this 5 shot group, which I have never done again, of course I never shot SW again. I was astonished at this group, because I had NEVER done that well with any rifle of any caliber.

The worst out of the box Muzzleloaders
You know I would have to say the Savage also, because you gotta know a lot to shoot it properly.I had issues with sabots and loading and didn't have a clue as to what was wrong, and none of my inline experience was applicable.

My favorite Muzzleloader

That is a tough one. I love my Savage, since it is accurate and no cleaning and a great shooter, however I also like my Knight and my Omega and my Flintlock, each has a purpose. I took the scope off my Knight and buought some RMC V-peep to shoot open sights, got a nice doe with the gun at 50 yards with 300g Barnes Expanders. I love my Omega, since it is accurate, with a 3-9 scope and shoots 300g Expanders and 300g Noslers very well. I like my FL also, since I switched the barrel to a 21" Green Mountain. So I have a gun for every season and every purpose. I use the Savage in Rifle season instead of a CF. I use the Inline in MLer season, 2 weeks before rilfe season. I use the Knight on close hunting situations, I have a couple. I use the FL in FL season in PA. So a gun for all seasons.
Keeps things interesting and fun. Also have an extra gun or two if some needs to borrow something.
Great question.
Chap

Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Chet, You still have the .45 kodiak?

What kind of trouble was it giving you?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

Chet, You still have the .45 kodiak?

What kind of trouble was it giving you?
Yes,I still have it. I got it about a year ago or a little over. It wouldn't group no matter what combination I tried. everything from 80 gr up to 120 gr. Pyrodex to Triple 777. Powerbelt 195, 225, you name it. I couldn't get it to shoot good. I wrote CVA and they treated me like a moron that doesn't know anything. I have 18 muzzle loaders and have been shooting muzzle loaders for 30 years. So I wrote it off after about the 4th e-mail. They didn't want to do anything. I shelved it. Well finally a month or more ago I tried it again. The 200 gr sst's I found did the best it has ever shot but nothing to brag about , so that is the story. I am not as disappointed in the gun (those things happen) as I was with the treatment I received. I still think it should shoot better than it does . Right now I wouldn't even consider hunting with it.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

BEST.....T/C Pro Hunter.....Put Nikon omega bdc scopeon it.. had it bore sighted. Used 3 pellets.. 250g Shockwave and thats all it was. Just as Greg Ritz said in the video. Gun still is the best I have and not to mention awesome looking.

Worst.... CVA Apollo Rocky Mountain Elk foundation series thumb hole stock could not hit a barn from 50yds.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

chet, in all seriousness i'd be more than happy to take a look at it. i have plenty of ammo to find a load and can buy some stuff too if need be.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

Best shooting muzzelloader i have ever shot was my Knight Magnum Disc Rifle, it will shoot anything i can shove down the barrel and shoot it great.
The worst shooting muzzelloader i have ever shot and own was a Traditions Long Range Hunter.Could not hit a 2x2' foot piece of card bored 10 Foot from it.Now that is saying something thats for sure ,But i have also own and shot nearly 30 CVA's since the early 70's that was dearn near as bad and nerver did have one of them to shoot worth a flip either
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most accurate muzzleloaderfor mehas to be the 700ML. I have yet to find something it won't shoot well.

The worst out of the box Muzzleloaders forme the Traditions Thunderbolt. Wouldn't shoot straight, dirty and just plain cheaply made.

My favorite Muzzleloaderfor me would be the Genesis. It's not top of the line but I've owned two and have not had the first minutes trouble out of them.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Most accurate out of the box: CVA wold. Paid $100 for it, took it to the range and dropped down two pellets and a powerbelt. First shot was through the bulls eye at 50 yards. 2nd shot was right next to the first. Couldn't complain about that.

Worst: another vote for the traditions thunderbolt. Was glad to get rid of it.

Favorite: H&R Sidekick. Shoots everything well, has a nice wood stock, was only $125, and made in the USA. Plus, every time I have taken this rifle in the woods deer have a habit of standing broadside to me at close range. I have come to believe this is my good luck charm.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

most accurate,CVA hunterbolt that was 10yrs ago and it still cuts holes at 100yds

worst would have to be a number of knights that friends have tryed to get to shoot.i've seen 5-6 that i couldn't hit a pie plate at 100yds with,no matter what you put in it.

favorite now,my tc triumph. easy to clean,shoot great,carries well.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most accurate muzzle loader
Knight Revolution shoots nice tight groups
The worst out of the box Muzzle loaders
CVA Hunter Bolt trigger pull is terrible, blow back is bad, not balanced very well, pain in the butt to clean
My favorite Muzzle loader
Knight Revolution Remington Genesis running a very close second place needs more field testing only one out of the three that will shoot Black Horn 209

Quick Reply: Most accurate, Worst, Favorite out of the box Muzzleloader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.