Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New triumph

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default New triumph

I just got a new triumph muzzleloader while at a local gun show. It's the black synthetic stock with weathersheild barrel. Great looking and feeling gun. Can't wait to get out there to shoot it. Any feelings about the triumph??? I'm looking to put a silver finished scope on it and thought I would see what anyone thinks of my options. I am looking at the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40.The two previous mentioned scopes would be in my price range and most comfortable to purchase (I would like to put more expensive optics on, but I have a few really expensive things to pay for in the near future). I would consider other options ifthere's any otherideas out there. I would like a 2-7 or 3-9 power in silver. Any testimonials on the above two scopes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New triumph

Looks like you already peek through a 2x7 Nikon Prostaff. The Nikon is a step up from the Bushnell Banner. I would go with the Nikon over the Bushnell Trophy. Also consider the Bushnell Legend3x9x40.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troutman10
The one point at which a lot of mistakes are made with Triumph and Omega rifles is the scope base, any good scope [although I fine a Nikon 2x7 an excellent choice] will do any good set of steel rings will do [the aluminium have given me unnecessary problems] the scope base is critical a lot of the ones offered will not get the scope far enough forward. I recommend a long one piece base that allows you to set the scope and rings where needed.
Lee
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM

I got a Triumph for Christmas too and I agree with lemoyne on scope bases. My brother-in-law got a Triumph last Christmas andbought the"one fit all"two piece scope bases with rings from Wally World and has had problems with them. I purchased the Weaver # 410 one piece scope base and it works great. Very stable and plenty of scope ring adjustments.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Spike

The Triumph has been nothing short of a dream for me. I absolutely love it.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Troutman10-----I also have a Triumph but haven't been able to shoot it yet. Natchez SS has the Nikon Omega with Nikoplex reticle (regular cross hairs) on sale for $149.95!! Thought I'd pass it along as you won't find a better scope for that money. It's a 3-9X40. I too am trying to figure out what scope mounts to get. I've seen a lot recommend Talleys. I'm also looking into Game reapers ded Nuts scope mounts. If you find solid well built mounts, please post and lemme know.--DrAsus
Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two silver Bushnell trophy scopes on Muzzle loaders. For the price ($50.00 cheaper than the Nikon Prostaff.) I feel they are good scopes. I also have a few Bushnell Banners since the late 60's and 70's that are still fine scopes today.

Al
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM

Everybody can have good and bad service with a product but I'll post my brother-in-laws recent experience with a Bushnell Trophy. As mentioned in my earlier post, he got a Triump last Christmas. He is a camo fanatic and his Triumph is complete camo so he wanted a camo scope. He got the Bushnell Trophy 2-7 in Woodland camo. The very first time he was out in a very light drizzle it fogged up. So he sent it back to Bushnell along with their required $10.00 for return postage and waited a couple of weeks. They did not repair his scope as expected but rather sent him a new one instead. However, they sent him a solid black Trophy 2-7 and not a camo scope. He called customer service and they told him they had discontinued the camo pattern and that is why they sent him the black scope. He explained why he wanted a camo scope in the first place (full camo rifle) and found out they had only discontinued the Woodland camo pattern but now made it in the new AP camo pattern. They said they just felt he would want the same camo pattern he sent in and since they no longer made it in that particular camo pattern they sent him the black one. This "thought process" really didn't make sense to either of us but the end of the story is that he is getting a Bushnell Trophy 2-7 in AP camo. Of course he had to return the other one and is still waiting on their return for the AP one.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Nikon and Bushnell aregreat products, friends of mine use them, no problems. I'm hung up on Leupold however. I put a VX-1 3x9x40 anchored by aWeaver base and rings on my Triumph. It's rock solid, very clear,and provides great eye relief. There are so many choices, you'll find the right one that fits you.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Spike

The Nikon Omega Scope w/ BDC is a very nice scope to have and is currently what i have on mine with great success. The glass on it's very nice as is with most- all of Nikons products.