Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone Using Fixed Scopes? >

Anyone Using Fixed Scopes?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone Using Fixed Scopes?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Anyone Using Fixed Scopes?

It seems that in every postconcerning scopes, all of the recommendationsare for one brand or anotherof 3 x 9 or 2 x 7. Why is that?

Now I know Cayugad and a few others use 1x scopes because of their State's restrictions, but I wonder why no one ever recommends a fixed scope in something like 4x? When I created the Sinful Renegade by putting a scope on the .45 GM LRH barrel of that fine sidehammer,I mounted a 4x Simmons ProDiamond. I found it had all of the power I needed, has something like 5 1/2" eye relief, and is very clear and bright. And the thing is - it's a lot trimmer and lighter than any 3 x 9.

I have to admit, I have a 3 x 9 Leupold on the Mustang and keep it on 9x just about all of the time. But I've never taken a shot that a 2x, 4x, or 6x would not have handled just as well. I've set it on 3x for some 100 yard paper punching and got groups just as good as on 9x.

So, what say you?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone Using Fixed Scopes?

I have to agree.. on some of the rifles I also have the Simmons Pro Diamond 4X and a Simmons Pro Hunter 2.5x20mm. As for the other rifles(that are not 1x) I normally leave them on 7x so I know what you mean.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my rifles have variable power scopes on them, either 3x9 or 2x7. Normally I leave them on the lowest setting when im hunting. I like the wide field of view while hunting. It doesnt take no time to crank it up if I need to.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey greg, this is totally OFF TOPIC, but I was looking at your gun list. Of the five cartridge rifles listed I'd bet you use the .257 Roberts more than any other.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's an add-on. Got to thinking a little more about the issue of scope magnification vs. accuracy and started doing a little research.

Found this article. I believe his reported results. It pretty much mirrors my experience with a 3 x 9 set on 3x and 9x.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/st_optics_200710/
Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two of my muzzleloaders have fixed power scopes. Most of my center fire rifles have fixed power 4X and 6X scopes: Mostly Leupoldand Zeiss.Myvariable scopes are set at 4X or 6X where they will stay.

During WWII the snipers of the world killed lots of troops. With the exception of a few USMC snipers, no one had scopes over 4X. Many years ago i missed a shot atthe biggest buck deer i ever laid my eyes on because my scope was set on 9X and the deer came out of the brush 10 yards away.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Here's an add-on. Got to thinking a little more about the issue of scope magnification vs. accuracy and started doing a little research.

Found this article. I believe his reported results. It pretty much mirrors my experience with a 3 x 9 set on 3x and 9x.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/st_optics_200710/
Looks like the higher magnification helped his groups a lot.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

All my centerfires have variable scope on them of some type except for my Marlin guide gun 45-70 which has a 4x. My only ML with a scope is my new Genesis and it has a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x. I like the variables because I can sight in at the higher magnification (helps to eliminate human error) and I usually hunt with it at the lowest setting. And sometimes the higher magnification helps when you need a shot in heavy cover so you can find a hole to slip the bullet through.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

i used to have a 4x fixed bushnell scope [aloooooooooong time ago ] but upgraded to a variable scope 2.5 - 10 scope
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a good assortment of scopes all variables of one sort or another from 6x18 on the 220Swift, 2x10 on one of the 243's, 2x7 on a 7MM08. I have Bushnells Banners and trophys, Pentex light seekers, Loopys, VX III and conpacts and afew ofSimmons.
One of the nicest scopes I have is mounted onmy T/C plainsrifle. It is a old Weaver K4 fixed 4 power scope. I only paid $5.00for it at a yard sale. Wish I would have bought the two fixed 6 power scopes he had also for that same price.

I too missed a chance at a nice buck that was to close for the 9 power setting on the scope I was useing. Hard to figure where the cross hairs are when all you are seeing is BROWN HAIR, is that the kill zone part or the rear hams I'm looking at. I try to keep mine set at the lowest power then crank up of needed.

Al

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Fixed Scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.