Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington .44 caliber revolving carbine? >

Remington .44 caliber revolving carbine?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington .44 caliber revolving carbine?

Old 04-05-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Remington .44 caliber revolving carbine?

I just recieved this gun from my grandfather as a gift. Its in near perfect condtion and has a low serial number. Is this a descent blackpowder gun. It looks like a gun u would put on the wall, not hunt with, but it was my grandpappys and It was free so what can I say.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Remington .44 caliber revolving carbine?

Sounds like a fun gun!
If the gun is what I' m picturing, it is basically a cap-n-ball revolver with a long barrel and a stock added to the pistol grip. If this is the case I' ve a couple thoughts.
1- Before hunting with it check you local regulations. Many ML hunts require guns that can only be loaded with 1 shot at a time. Second, if it is a " revolver" your max load will be in about 25 to 30 grains of 3fg. This is a very lite load for hunting, you would definately have to keep your shots close.
2- Cap-n-ball revolvers can suffer from chain fires. This occurs when the flash from the fired clyinder ignites an adjacent clyinder, by passing either through the nipple, or around the ball. With a bit of care while loading chain fires can be prevented, but I would never put my hand in front of the clyinder when fireing (something you might be prone to do on a carbine)

I' ve got an article about shooting cap-n-ball revovers on my site that can give you some good infor if your interested. If I' m off base on the type of gun you' ve got just ignore this.

Have fun