Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots >

Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

I'm shooting these sabots out of my CVAKodiak Magnumwith 150 grains of 777.

Have any of you tried these? I'm actually shooting the light 180 grain bullet out to 200 yards. I'm really suprised in these bullets.. In low wind they're very stable for a light bullet..even out to 200.

Here they are

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0027265215461a&nav Count=3&podId=0027265&parentId=cat200005&a mp;masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCod e=XJ&rid=0180101070502&parentType=index&am p;indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Your thoughts?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 AM

Default RE: Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

I used to buy those bullets direct from Precision a number of years ago when they were a lot cheaper. I never had much luck with those .40 caliber bullets/sabot combinationout of my gun regardless of powder charge. Sure, I could get acceptable accuracy, but nothing special. On the other hand, I've shot great groups with with some of their .44 caliber 275 grain QT bullets with green sabotsover90 to 120 grains of pyrodex.

I now shoot pistol bullets out of my gun. Many of the guys here do the same. Good things are said about the Noslers and Speer Gold Dots. Tough bullets that shoot well will be the concensus. Can drive themfastwith a hefty powder charge and no fear of bullet failure. I use XTP's.They shoot great and are cheap. Just don't push them too fast. I like 90 grains of BH209.

Hope this helps...Jimmy
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is just my opinion, but I would rather hit a deer with a 50 cal, 350 gr projectile moving at 1300-1400 fps than a 40 cal bullet that weighs 180 gr, even if it is moving faster. What material are those bullets made from? Are they lead? Not sure I'd trust them to punch throughboth shoulders, as I do with FPBs.

I'm assuming you're thinking a light bullet will shoot the flattest and therefore perform best at longer ranges. Muzzle velocity is not what you should be concerned with, terminal velocity is. Light bullets lose velocity faster than heavy bullets. Do you know what the velocity of that load is at say 150 and 200 yds?

Your load may have the same energy at say 150 yds, as a more standard load with a 45 or 50 cal projectile that weighs in the 250-300 gr range, even if it does start out at a higher velocity. I have not looked at the numbers though. As long as that bullet design performs well on game and retains enough energy to get the job done at the ranges you intend to shoot, you'll be fine.

Just my thoughts.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the "Dead Centers" from Precision Rifle- they are similar, but not identical to the Extended Range line. I was very happy with the accuracy but stopped shooting them before I had a chance to go hunting with them because they were too expensive.

If you're getting good accuracy, then I don't see any reason to change anything. The only thing I would mention, is that 150 grains of 777 is a pretty hot load for a pure lead, 180 grain bullet. I couldn't tell you the velocity, but it has to be well over 2000 fps. If you would shoot a deer at longer ranges (100+ yards) it should perform just fine, nothing to worry about. However, if you come across a deer 20 yards away and shoot, the bullet may blow up, over-expand and not penetrate much at all. That would be my only worry. I think they make a heavier, 250 grain .40 extended range - that might be a better choice with heavier powder charges to avoid problems at close range.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ones you like to are the same as the "QT" line straight from the manufacturer - Precision Rifle from Canada. I shot the 250 QT for one season, good performance. Then when they came out with them I switched to the .357 195gr Dead Center duplex -- two sabots inside each other to shoot the .357 out of a .50 cal gun.

I shot the duplexes for 2 years I think. They performed very very well. I took deer from 20 to about 200 yards with those bullets. Two things to note:

1) I am surprised you can drive them that hard and get any kind of accuracy. While I have heard that some people do it, in my hands and the hands of everyone I have direct experience with they lose accuracy once you exceed the 1800-2000 fps range (you are 2200 fps+). The load I shot was 100gr 777 and clocked right at 2000 fps. Thoughts are that it is due to either the boattail cutting into the sabot or the lead deforming upon ignition.

2) The expansion/control of expansion is not the issue people that haven't tried them may think. While they are a non-jacketed lead bullet, their sleek design keeps them from blowing up at close range. I once shot a doe from the front at a range of about 50 yds. The impact picked her up and knocked her over backwards, pretty dramatic. The bullet penetrated through the chest and stopped against the front of the stomach, flattened into a pancake about the size of a quarter with the boattail base still evident (I still have it). Unlike jacketed bullets that the lead peels away and fragments with pieces of the jacket, these lead bullets deform but stay together! At extended ranges, I got nothing but pass-thrus due to broadside shots and lots of dead deer.

I know some here don't believe in the light bullets, but I've shot 200gr bullets aTON and they work very well on deer-sized game. At least those with a spitzer design, never tried light hollowpoints.

There are two reasons I don't shoot them anymore:
1) My Omega that replaced the Traditions I shot them in will not shoot a Dead Center of any weight over 1800 fps with any acceptable accuracy but shoots 200gr Shockwaves through one hole at 2100 fps
2) Cost. The 200gr Shockwaves are about half the price (at least they were when I switched) and with the higher velocity I get a similar trajectory.

Precision Rifle makes excellent bullets and comes up with some good ideas, like the 25ACP conversion and duplex sabots. I am not so pleased with their slanted marketing tests (their drop comparison was rigged in their favor, limiting to 100gr powder and excluding the 200SW) and their advertised BCs are seriously inflated.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM

I agree with Spaniel. I shot them for the last five years. No major issues but I seemed to loose accuracy at higher speeds and I wanted to push them faster. They are a good bullet, but there is limited availability locally.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

I agree with Spaniel. I shot them for the last five years. No major issues but I seemed to loose accuracy at higher speeds and I wanted to push them faster. They are a good bullet, but there is limited availability locally.
www.prbullet.com, call their toll-free number and order direct. Watch the site for their regular sales and buy in bulk as they are REALLY expensive if you buy them in small lots and add on the shipping, not so bad in bulk.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Spike

I'm not an expert and I certainly don't know anything about the ballistics of any bullets let alone these, but I have shot Precision rifle bullets for eight years. I have shot whitetails with 300gr .45/50cal keith nose HP, three with QT bullets ( 180gr .40/45cal and 235 gr.40/50cal)and one with an Extreme Elite 260gr .40/50cal. Shot all with somewhere between 100gr and 120 gr of T7. 4 of the 5 shots were within 25-30 yards and those deer never moved from the spot. All were shot through. The fifth was somewhere between 75-100yds with the Extreme Elite and ran 30-40 yards after the shot, but I can tell you I could literally see blood squirting out the exit hole after the shot.

Just my experience, for what its worth.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I'm shooting these sabots out of my CVAKodiak Magnumwith 150 grains of 777.

Have any of you tried these? I'm actually shooting the light 180 grain bullet out to 200 yards. I'm really suprised in these bullets.. In low wind they're very stable for a light bullet..even out to 200.

Here they are

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0027265215461a&nav Count=3&podId=0027265&parentId=cat200005&a mp;masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCod e=XJ&rid=0180101070502&parentType=index&am p;indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Your thoughts?

The is a good product review over on the Cabelas site you posted, most are good, however there were a few of note that you should pay attention to, like shooting them fast. Cabelas seems a bit cheaper than the PR web site. Chap

Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Make sure you load them hot enough. i tried the .40 cal 235 in a 1:48 twist at a low charge(70gr Pyro RS I think) Had one go through target sideways at 50 yds. I shoot Noslers at game

Charlie

Quick Reply: Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.