HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

The ones you like to are the same as the "QT" line straight from the manufacturer - Precision Rifle from Canada. I shot the 250 QT for one season, good performance. Then when they came out with them I switched to the .357 195gr Dead Center duplex -- two sabots inside each other to shoot the .357 out of a .50 cal gun.

I shot the duplexes for 2 years I think. They performed very very well. I took deer from 20 to about 200 yards with those bullets. Two things to note:

1) I am surprised you can drive them that hard and get any kind of accuracy. While I have heard that some people do it, in my hands and the hands of everyone I have direct experience with they lose accuracy once you exceed the 1800-2000 fps range (you are 2200 fps+). The load I shot was 100gr 777 and clocked right at 2000 fps. Thoughts are that it is due to either the boattail cutting into the sabot or the lead deforming upon ignition.

2) The expansion/control of expansion is not the issue people that haven't tried them may think. While they are a non-jacketed lead bullet, their sleek design keeps them from blowing up at close range. I once shot a doe from the front at a range of about 50 yds. The impact picked her up and knocked her over backwards, pretty dramatic. The bullet penetrated through the chest and stopped against the front of the stomach, flattened into a pancake about the size of a quarter with the boattail base still evident (I still have it). Unlike jacketed bullets that the lead peels away and fragments with pieces of the jacket, these lead bullets deform but stay together! At extended ranges, I got nothing but pass-thrus due to broadside shots and lots of dead deer.

I know some here don't believe in the light bullets, but I've shot 200gr bullets aTON and they work very well on deer-sized game. At least those with a spitzer design, never tried light hollowpoints.

There are two reasons I don't shoot them anymore:
1) My Omega that replaced the Traditions I shot them in will not shoot a Dead Center of any weight over 1800 fps with any acceptable accuracy but shoots 200gr Shockwaves through one hole at 2100 fps
2) Cost. The 200gr Shockwaves are about half the price (at least they were when I switched) and with the higher velocity I get a similar trajectory.

Precision Rifle makes excellent bullets and comes up with some good ideas, like the 25ACP conversion and duplex sabots. I am not so pleased with their slanted marketing tests (their drop comparison was rigged in their favor, limiting to 100gr powder and excluding the 200SW) and their advertised BCs are seriously inflated.