HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

I've used the "Dead Centers" from Precision Rifle- they are similar, but not identical to the Extended Range line. I was very happy with the accuracy but stopped shooting them before I had a chance to go hunting with them because they were too expensive.

If you're getting good accuracy, then I don't see any reason to change anything. The only thing I would mention, is that 150 grains of 777 is a pretty hot load for a pure lead, 180 grain bullet. I couldn't tell you the velocity, but it has to be well over 2000 fps. If you would shoot a deer at longer ranges (100+ yards) it should perform just fine, nothing to worry about. However, if you come across a deer 20 yards away and shoot, the bullet may blow up, over-expand and not penetrate much at all. That would be my only worry. I think they make a heavier, 250 grain .40 extended range - that might be a better choice with heavier powder charges to avoid problems at close range.