HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
UncleNorby
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifle Extended Range Sabots

This is just my opinion, but I would rather hit a deer with a 50 cal, 350 gr projectile moving at 1300-1400 fps than a 40 cal bullet that weighs 180 gr, even if it is moving faster. What material are those bullets made from? Are they lead? Not sure I'd trust them to punch throughboth shoulders, as I do with FPBs.

I'm assuming you're thinking a light bullet will shoot the flattest and therefore perform best at longer ranges. Muzzle velocity is not what you should be concerned with, terminal velocity is. Light bullets lose velocity faster than heavy bullets. Do you know what the velocity of that load is at say 150 and 200 yds?

Your load may have the same energy at say 150 yds, as a more standard load with a 45 or 50 cal projectile that weighs in the 250-300 gr range, even if it does start out at a higher velocity. I have not looked at the numbers though. As long as that bullet design performs well on game and retains enough energy to get the job done at the ranges you intend to shoot, you'll be fine.

Just my thoughts.