Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BH 209 Powder question >

BH 209 Powder question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH 209 Powder question

Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Default BH 209 Powder question

Morning men...I would like to know your thoughts on this new powder..Does it do as the company claims it to do...Clean burning,easy cleaning,etc...What are you using to clean your barrel with? Is it ease of of reloading as they claim,no wiping in between shots....We're always looking for better ways of doing things...My usual powder of use is goex 2F ..Thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BH 209 Powder question

johnny2

I have not shot it extensively, so I can only share some limited experiances...

Does it do as the company claims it to do...Clean burning,easy cleaning,etc
It does seem to follow along the company claims very closely...

What are you using to clean your barrel with
Pretty much the same way that you might clean a centerfire rifle. BH is a smokeless - progressive burning powder developed to mimmick the characteristics of Black Powder, in pressures developed and measurement by volume.

Is it ease of of reloading as they claim,no wiping in between shots
It is...

There are some things we still do not know about the powder as it is so new and has been used in the field so little. It does seem to be hard on breech plugs as it can build a heavy hard residue. This might be the most difficult part of cleaning a BH gun.

Just my thoughts...

I should have also added it was developed to be a BP substitute. As T7 is a BP sub which is also smokeless but non-progressive burning
Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used 7 cans of it now, I find that it actually is more accurate if you don't wipe between shots, that it is so different that working up the best loads is a good idea,That what it will do for the shooter often depends on the shooters capabilities, for me personally it took me from thinking a 1.25 inch was good to thinking a 1/2 inch group was good[ on an average it halved my groups. It is not quite as clean as I hoped for but the residue seems to act as a lubricant. I believe it will produce about 500 feet per second more than goex FF.
A few points, #1 they mean just what the package says when it comes to using regular 209 primers the hotter the better; I have heard of some people having success with the 25 APC conversion and small rifle pistol primers and the 6MM conversion with mag large rifle primers works other than that and one fellow who likes to shoot it in a Hawken with 5 grains of FFF as a priming charge [ which seems self defeating to me.
I use a mix of 1/2 #9 [Hoppes] and alk. it cleans easy, I do have the same problem I had with 777 in that it forms a hard carbon in front of the 209 but the solution is easy a flashlight battery screw driver available at Walmart that comes with a 1/8 inch drill cleans my Triumph in a second or two with out disassm.
Hope this helps Lee
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM

It is pretty much as advertised IMHO. Not sure about the breech plug thing.When I pull the breech plug prior to cleaning the rifle, I just let it soak in solvent, then clean it last.

For me, the greatest advantage in using this powder is little worry about rust. It puts my mind at ease to to be able totake a fouling shot, then load it up and leave it that way for an extended period of time with no rust worries.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 AM

One important question I had left out.

How is the cost per pound and does it
have a has mat(spelling) fee for shipping?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

johnny2

How is the cost per pound and does it
have a has mat(spelling) fee for shipping?
It does not come in pound bottles - you 10 oz. for around $30.00 - way to expensive for me... T7 works great and it is in lb bottle... and a round here it is still about $20/lb...

Yes, if you order online - you pay the Hazmat.... If you order from a local dealer - you will probably pay Hazmat also unless he/she is able to wash it into a large order.

Some justify it (cost) because of the ease of shooting and fewer hassels and of course that is in the eyes of the beholder.... I shoot T7 because it has a ton less hassels than any of the Pyro's or BP - but there a lot of people out there that would call 'foul' on that also. There is a bunch of people that really feel GOEX has all the answers....

I did not find that much of a change in accuracy nor did I get that big of increase in velocity with BH - that Lee indicated - BUT Lee is a better shooter than I - far more experiance.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Damn--At 30 dollars--I will stay with the Goex powder.....Thanks
for the info though....