Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powder Question.... >

Powder Question....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Question....

Old 02-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powder Question....

As I have mentioned before I am purchasing a Encore (209X50) for my son. My "primitive weapon" of choice is a bow, so I am completely in the dark on this muzzle loading subject. My boy however is intrigued by black powder so I am happy to get the Encore.

Here is my question...

For those of you who are in the know, would there be any advantage to shooting theAmerican Pioneer Powder sticksversus theHodgdon Triple Seven Pellets. I realize each firearm can be different when it comes to accuracy preferences, but are there advantages that the powder sticks have that 777 doesn't, or vise versa?

I appreciate the help thanks....
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder Question....

It will boil down to what produces the best accuracy for you and your Encore. With the American Pioneer Power or Pinnacle Powder you may find less of a crud ring if you are shooting a standard 209 primer. Then again, you might not find a crud ring at all shooting Triple Se7en powder, which by the way is a clean burning powder. The major complaint of it is the production of a crud ring in some rifles in some circumstances.

I would suggest getting a package of pellets of each powder and try them with different projectiles. Make your own informed choice that way. For a projectile I would look at some of the 200 & 250 grain Shockwaves and some of the 240 grain XTP's to start with.

Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Loose powder gets you zeroed in better - plus it's alot cheaper. Buy FFF for best bang. Both powders work well in the Encore.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second the loose powder advice. Want to shoot a 75 or 90 grain charge with a pellet?

Al
Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you use black,pyrodex or 777 be sure the gun is completely clean as they are very corrosive; APP or Pinnacle are mildly so you still need to do a decent job. Lee
Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to tell you I just started using American Pioneer powder and am very impressed with it. I just started breaking in a new Omega with it and I tell you thats all I'm going to usein it. I always clean between shots especially while sighting in and I am here to tell you I relly don't think I need to. And when I took the gun home and took it apart to give it a good cleaning it cleaned in a jiffy. I am sold. And performance wise I don't have all the fancy stuff to check speed and all that but it packed a good whomp and it hit consistantly where I aimed which in my opion is all you really need. Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike Hill,I to am using it in an Omega it is the ideal powder for the longer barrels.My old beat up chrony says I am getting 2400 with 150 gr FF APP and 50/40 - 200gr SWand 2100 with the same load and 250 SW it must be using all the barrel length to burn it because the velocity drops sharply with the 24 inch thunderhawk.Lee
Old 02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Mike Hill,I to am using it in an Omega it is the ideal powder for the longer barrels.My old beat up chrony says I am getting 2400 with 150 gr FF APP and 50/40 - 200gr SWand 2100 with the same load and 250 SW it must be using all the barrel length to burn it because the velocity drops sharply with the 24 inch thunderhawk.Lee
Is this loose or stick you are shooting? Also how do you like the recoil with 150 grains of APP?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, Both, I have both so I interchange back and forth to see what it would do they stay right in the same group.
The recoil is a bit less than with RS but the velocity is more;I tried heavy loads of FFF and the recoil wasnasty and I did not like the answers my strain gage was giving me .Lee

Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if I am understanding the wisdom of the experienced here the consensus is that I should try loose powder first...okay.

If I am reading right, he Encore barrelis 22 1/2 inches which seems short to me, but what do I know. Does that mean I should shoot the FFF type powder rather than the FF???

Quick Reply: Powder Question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.