Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 FACT OR FICTION????? >

FACT OR FICTION?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FACT OR FICTION?????

Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FACT OR FICTION?????

As stated, cleaning really hasn't been a problem on either powder.

Here is how I do it: If I can get good accuracy with 777, I use it because I don't worry as much if I can't clean the rifle that night. I still clean it by the next day though. Also as stated, I believe more guns are accurate with pyrodex than with 777. I have one gun that shoots great with pyrodex, but not with 777, but none that don't shoot accurately with pyrodex.

I use only loose powder whichever powder I do use. Cheaper and can be tweeked.

That said, since I don't shoot an enormous amount, I tried BH 209 in my Omega and it shoots great, so that is what I use in it now.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buck Hunter 1
+1
I realize some people have a different experience with 777. For me it was the most awful thing related to muzzle loading I experienced in the 60 years I have been doing it, the crud ring was awful and the fouling was very hard and difficult to remove, while I realize that it was more than likely some thing I was doing that caused it to be that way or maybe something I was not doing,it was the only powder that gave me those kind of problems. As long as I can get something else to work really well likely BH209 I will never buy an other can of 777; if my Triumph had not refused to group well with Pyrodex I would never have use it on a reguler bases any way. Lee
Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, I never tried 777. Pyrodex was always cheaper.

As many times as I've cleaned my rifles, I never really thought there had to be a better way. It's always been part of the experience for me.

I remember my grandpa cleaning his old muzzleloader. He made his own powder, and as far back as I can remember, no cleaning patch ever came out of that thing that was pure white. A light tobacco brown was about as clean as it ever got. I always figured, with pyrodex, I'm still doing better than that.