Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 FACT OR FICTION????? >

FACT OR FICTION?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FACT OR FICTION?????

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default FACT OR FICTION?????

Fellas,

Help a rookie out here a little PLEASE. I was at the gun shop BS'n and asked if there was an easier way to clean my gun after shooting it. He asked what powder i used. I told him I used Pyrodex Pellets. He said "777" or Pyrodex. I told him again "PYRODEX". He said use "777", everything is the same except, alot easier to clean, less smoke and no smell.

Is this FACT or FICTION.....there was "777" on his shelf, but no Pyrodex Pellets. I know guys..I know use BH209..... LOL

Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FACT OR FICTION?????

answered your own question![8D]
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fact.

With Pyrodex, it seemed to take forever to clean my gun and it was never truly clean. 777, now I run about 6 water-wet patches down the barrel, two dry ones, a lightly oiled one, clean the breech plug, and I'm DONE.

777 is also less corrosive (not it is NOT non-corrosive).

777 is much cheaper than Blackhorn, but if you do not shoot a lot it may be reasonable. Me, I shoot too much.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Okay if that is true about "777", then how does cleanup compare with "777" vs. the loose BH209? Cayugad......you got me wanting to try this loose powder. Problem is if it's easier clean up, I will probably want to shoot alot more.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hoosier_Hunter1963

Okay if that is true about "777", then how does cleanup compare with "777" vs. the loose BH209?
I have shot both powders, and I continue to shoot T7 only because of the cost per shot of BH (I shoot a lot).

Cleaning? Well they could actually clean up the same if you wanted to. If you choose to clean with something like Hoppes #9 have at it - they both clean up great with with this operation almost the same as cleaning a centerfire - except for the breech plug area...

If you normally clean with the soap and hot water treatment for T7 - you do not need to with BH, or in fact for T7 either. T7 is also a smokeless powder so cleaning I would rate them as a toss up depending on which way you clean.

The DIFFERENCE in the two other than size of container, and cost per shot is the infamous T7 "crud ring" - if you get the crud ring you are realy going to like BH - If you do not like running a damp patch every-so-often - then you are really goingto like BH.

for now I am staying with T7 as I am just to darn cheap...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Are we talking days or minutes to clean a rifle. While it is true that Triple Se7en can be removed from the barrel with simple tap water (which most people do not take advantage of). Add a squirt of dish soap to that water and it will remove Pyrodex just as easy. Use Windex and it will remove both of them. Both powders IN PELLET FORM have approximately the same power. Pyrodex leave more fowling between shots, but it is a softer easier to remove fowling. Did he mention some rifles develop terrible crud rings when shooting Triple Se7en powder that must be removed between every shot, while with Pyrodex the crud ring is much softer and if worse be told, you can shoot more then once. Also when you talk consistency and cost, many times Pyrodex is the better option. Some rifles like Triple Se7en powder, and it is a great powder. Still, most all rifles like Pyrodex.

The real cleaning question is not in the brand of powder but the method of cleaning. It does not matter what kind of powder I shoot, and believe me.. I shoot themall. If one powder takes me five minutes more to clean out of the rifle then the other, then it take me five minutes more. That is one more song on the radio and another half cup of coffee. I never consider cleaning time as something to avoid. It is just something that has to be done.

And changing to loose powder to me is a win win situation. Lower cost per shot, tinkering with the loads, and the satisfaction that I can afford to shoot more. Shooting more is a good thing. It makes you want to spend more time outside on the range.. That's fresh air and exercise, good for your health. It makes you want to purchase more muzzleloaders.. that stimulates the economy, fills the gun racks and normally upsets the better half. I mean come on, what more could you want..
Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

I knew you would have the answer. Of course I just bought a new box of Pyrodex Pellets too. LOL The load I worked up seems to be working good....I guess why fix what ain't broken. I do use hot water and soap AND windex for cleanup.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
FG

Clean up is easy with all sub powders, including the real stuff. Nothing is quicker than a hot bucket of soapy water and a bore mop.

Running patch after patch just aint no fun and isnt the right way *For me* to clean a muzzle loader.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to go along with the last 2 posts. I use Triple 7, Pyrodex and both FFg and FFFg black powder. Every time I come home from the range - no matter which powder I used - I will clean my rifle with hot soapy water and a hot water rinse. Dry and treat with a rust preventative.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

B 209, Hoppes #9, 10 patches or less, i patch Iso alcohol and 1 Rem oil w/ teflon, 1 dry and done in the barrel. The plug I thought was much easier to clean, beacuse T7 crud on that sucker was ridiculous. I hated to clean that T7, I mean hated it. I thought the clean up was a drag and I don't want to swab any more than I have to between shots. In my Pro I was swabbing every shot so I could get the sabot and bullet down the muzzle.
I don't shoot as much as the guys here but I got better results same bullets w/ the BH209 over the T7. I don't know about speed or that stuff but target and holes in that target I was getting the shooting results i wanted to see and POI ws iproved for me. I will never go back to T7 for my inline.

Quick Reply: FACT OR FICTION?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.