Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

FACT OR FICTION

Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 AM

Default FACT OR FICTION

I hear alot of good news about leupold scope mounts but one thing has made me have a second thought about them. I asked one man and he said he had leupold mounts and his scope has never been knocked off since he got them. He said he even dropped his gun 20' from his tree stand and it still was dead on. Is this fact or fiction. Tell me if they are really that good. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FACT OR FICTION

It's possible.
depends on the scope, the mounts, the area impacted on the rifle and the type of material it fell onto.

for general hunting purposes they are fine
Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that the cheapest brand would have performed as well. I'd say that recoil is harder on a mount than a 20 foot drop, assuming a relatively soft landing spot with no direct impact to the mount.

I have never had a mount-related problem, regardless of brand. The better brands do look better though.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I second Norb

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 AM

I also agree with UncleNorby. I had my handle tear off my soft sidded gun case while pulling it up to my tree stand. it fell 20' and landed on the stock. I later went and checked and it is still perfectly sighted in. it is a $25 simmons scope and rings that came on my savage combo.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scopes and mounts can be unpredictable. I know of folks that have dropped their rifle from their treestand and the scope was still dead-nuts on. I also know folks who had to (unexpectedly) sight-in again on a rifle that was always right-on for years. They had no clue what could have happened to the scope. I also have a Leupold scope and if I dropped it from 20 feet, I would be amazed if it still shoots straight....