Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Accuracy Issues >

Omega Accuracy Issues

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Accuracy Issues

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: Omega Accuracy Issues

I sanded my synthetic/camo stock and it worked fine. I used a course sandpaper I had lying around(100 gritt)to get the clearance then I finished with a 400 gritt. I will go shoot it tomorrow to check it on paper. Thanks for the post spaniel, very informative.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Spike

I too had some issues with my Omega and accuracy. I also had an issue with zeroing the gun where I could not get the POI high enough. This was using a Talley one piece mount. I had to have the scope adjusted to max verticle and the groups were not really impressive. I bit the bullet and bought a Ken Farrell +20 MOA base and added Warne rings. I also did a proper bedding job (no shims) and floated the barrel in the laminated stock. Now, the gun shoots sub MOA to 200 yards. I will test it further this weekend.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spoke with Thompson Center yesterday and had the customer supervisor on the phone, his name is Roland. He claims that he does not know of an accuracy problem in the Omegas due to the stock and essentially thinks that we all do not know what we are doing.

He was friendly enough but honestly seemed like he was playing legal ease and not admitting to anything etc...

I going to go to the shooting range on Saturday and see what my Omega does with two shims under each recoil lug. That is 0.065" increase in height.

If that works out then I'm going to sand the stock. After a quick call to Roland to see if he will replace my stock with a laminate stock.

Tom
Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember the problems shimming can cause ;D

hntbambi - your zeroing experience is STANDARD on Omegas/Encores. Cut shims for the back of the mount (4?) from the curved side of a soda can, or use Burris Signature rings for which you can get inserts that allow you to tilt the scope in the rings. I did BOTH to my Omega so I have adjustment to go past 400 yds if I desire.

In T/Cs defense, I'm sure lots of people with guns that are fine call in complaining (they don't know how to shoot, try 150gr charges, etc). In my experience and second-hand knowledge they always end up making it right.I had issues with my front sling stud pulling out when brand new, I complained when the first fix did not work and I had to pay to ship it again and they returned it fixed very well with 80 Shockwave bullets to make up for the shipping.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing that some of you might be missing is that the synthetic thumbhole stock is has completely different forearm construction than the wood laminate or the regular synthetic.

The thumbhole does not have a barrel bed along the forearm of the stock - for the lack of a better words. The only bed is right at the front of the forearm where it is point bedded.

In the case of statjunk's stock the shim(s) will allow him to relieve some of this "upward" push (and I really think it is an excessive amount of push)the point bed is applying to the barrel. (And also please remember, he and certainly I really do not know WHAT the problem is yet) I do not think he plans on leaving the shims in certainly not two shims per pocket - but it will allow him to see if the barreled action will shoot better with a free barrel. If all of this works for him them he can begin the repair of the stock. If it doesn't work - as it might really be a barreld action issue - he can still send everything back to TC and not have voided any part of his lifetime warranty.

Gosh i hate writing some thing like this - I hated English classes - this whole thing probably only makes sense to me.

What I have tried to help him with is to FIND the problem safely then work on curing the problem/
Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah my intention is if this were to correct the problem would be to remove all the shims and sand the stock down to the point where it's floated. This is just an attempt to figure out what is going on. I'd like to shoot no more than 6 shots on Saturday with the shims in. Three at 50 and three at 100.

I would never go as far as to say that I'm an expert shot but I'm pretty good. I can pull off 5/8" groups at 100 yards with my 300 Win Mag and I have a .308 that I can shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards for a 5 shot group. I typically go to the range every weekend even when it's relatively cold out. So I don't believe it's the Indian in this case.

I will report back on Saturday.

Tom
Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can shoot that tight with a 300WM I doubt you are having flinching issues with a ML for sure!

I was just cautioning that even if the shims do not fix the problem, it does not mean that the other things I suggest including screwing it back factory and sanding the barrel chanel won't help. Everything you change affects the system, the best (but not only) way is to fix one area at a time and test. By shimming you are affecting two things at once (bedding and float), so theoretically even if it shoots bad, the float may have helped but was negated by the shimming.

Good luck, there was a point I was about ready to use my Omega as a target rather than to shoot at them...
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Statjunk,

That is exactly what I did. I shimmed the barrel up just enough to float the barrel and then took it out to shoot it. I got some really good groups at 100 yards. Then I took the gun home and took the shims out and sanded the stock untill the barrel was comletely floated to the first recoil lug. I didn't measure my shims but I still had plenty of recoil lug inside the blocks on the stock to hold everything tight. Atleast long enough to take 6 shots. I checked the stock screws when I got home and the screws were still tight.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader,

It did look like the construction was very different than the laminate, that was the gist of one of my first questions. But even the laminate doesn't have a "bed", it simply has more material there that the action may or may not make good and consistent contact with. The shimming may help him learn something -- I'm just the meticulous sort and after all the pain I went through learning this stuff the hard way I'm just trying to break it down to where the feedback is most clear.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

totally understand where you are coming from... but, the laminate is a far more stable platform than the composits and it provides theowner the ability to complete a regular bedding operation both action and barrel if necessary... The composits on the other hand were constucted to be light with very little excess material in them. The thumbhole is actually easierto work with than the non-thumbhole - but in reality it has less materal in it. No barrel channel - no ram rod channel

The thumbhole I have is so much more stable than the non-thumbhole - there really is a difference. It was really easy tosolve the problems with the regular composit and I think it will even be easier to solve the stock problems of the thumbhole - if it is a stock problem.

Quick Reply: Omega Accuracy Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.