Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Accuracy Issues >

Omega Accuracy Issues

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Accuracy Issues

Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega Accuracy Issues

Well guys,

That pretty much did it. I shot two five shot groups. One at 50 yards and another at 100 yards. Other than one slight flyer in each group the gun shot 10 times better than it ever has. So my problem was indeed a stock problem.

At 50 yards minus the flyer the group measured 1 1/8". With the flyer it measured 2 3/4".

At 100 yards minus the flyer the group measured 1 3/8". With the flyer it measured 2 7/8".

I'm going to take pictures of the targets and post them here. Won't be able to do that till tomorrow since I don't have software to shrink the pictures down.

I'm going to call Thompson Center tomorrow and talk with the supervisor to see if he'd send me a laminate stock so I can get mor rigidity out that gun.

Here is another issue that I noticed. Now that the barrel is floated, it only takes a very mild amount of pressure to push the stock to the barrel. Like extremely light pressue. So basically that tells me that this stock has virtually zero rigidity. So essentially I think the reason why every once in a while I was able to pull of a slightly better group was due to placing the gun on the sand bags in the exact same place each time.

I'll post those pics tomorrow and fill you in on the call to TC.

Thanks to all especially Sabotloader for helping me with this. It's like I have another hunging gun in my arsenal without having to pay for it.

Tom
Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Good deal !
I floated my Omega (Z-5) and the groups shrunk to 3/4 inch @ 100 yds.
Tim
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sure feels good to identify a problem like that.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

COOL!

That flex in the forearm really is not uncommon an if the barrel is floated or even point bedded correctly - it should not cause a problem unless you place excess upward pressure on the end of the forearm... be kinda like using the barrel as the front rest when shooting off a bench.

Wish I still had my Laminate stock - I would trade you straight across for your camo thumbhole

mike
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

At one time, I thought about trying to do something to ensure I could recover the same POI after removing the stock when cleaning my Omega (stainless with black composite stock). All I do now is make sure I replace the screws the same way by referencing them to the hands of a clock. It seems like every other cleaning, the screws end up a little different,but I don't really see it affecting accuracy too much. Isn't it safe to say for 100 yards and under, there probably is not going to be enough difference in the POI to effect deer hunting accuracy, beinga six inch circle? For whatever its worth, I happend to check my stock to barrel fit using a five dollar bill (beacuse I am a big spender) and I could only get the bill about halfway in before it got stuck.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going to call TC right after this post I'll report back. Here is the 50 yard target.

Tom

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

100 yard target.

Tom

Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got off the phone with TC. It went ok. He says that he will guarantee that my gun will leave his factory shooting 2" or better at 100 yards. Says that he is dumbfounded as to why the groups improved by shimming up the action.

He will not send me a new stock without me sending in my rifle first.

He is also slightly opposed to swaping out the synthetic for the laminate. Says it should work fine with what I have on it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Should have it shipped by tomorrow.

Tom
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put it in the mail today.

Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Called TC today. I should have my rifle by early next week. Will keep you guys posted.

Tom

Quick Reply: Omega Accuracy Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.