Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Accuracy Issues >

Omega Accuracy Issues

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Accuracy Issues

Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega Accuracy Issues

This is a very interesting post, even though I do not own a Omega.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

Do you know if they swapped stocks?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope. He gave me zero indication of what would be done. I'm hopeful that whatever they do my gun comes back a shooter.

Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

I'm hopeful that whatever they do my gun comes back a shooter.
10-4 on that one...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess i got lucky with my omega. i sold the original stock and bought the factory thumbhole. i use 2 pyrodex pellets and 300 grait xtps .44 with the green sabots and its shooting holes side by side at 50 yards so far. good luck with it!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Got off the phone with TC. It went ok. He says that he will guarantee that my gun will leave his factory shooting 2" or better at 100 yards. Says that he is dumbfounded as to why the groups improved by shimming up the action.

He will not send me a new stock without me sending in my rifle first.

He is also slightly opposed to swaping out the synthetic for the laminate. Says it should work fine with what I have on it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Should have it shipped by tomorrow.

Tom
He's lucky it wasn't me on the phone, I'd get a little mean. He can't say he works on guns and not understand how stock contact/pressure can affect accuracy.

Does not surprise me he is resisting the swap, that will cost them money and while I found TC helpful I did have to do some prodding to get things done right (that's why my gun had to go back TWICE).

The forearm flex is normal in that type of stock, though certainly not desirable. I had the same issue on a Traditions but it shot fine once I floated it.

Watch out for the test-shooting at their factory, make sure they claim they used enough powder. It's easy to make 80gr loads shoot well but not realistic for how the gun will be used I'd guess.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got the rifle back today. It's actually with me at work. I told folks that it's golf clubs. LOL.

I opened the box and they sent me a laminate non-thumbhole stock which I indicated that I had some interest in. So I was pretty happy that it had the laminate stock on it.

The part that has me perplexed is that they claimed to have test shot the rifle at 50 yards at the factory with the new laminate stock on it using 100 gr of Pyrodex Pellets with 250 gr Shockwaves and got 1.5" groups. They got 1.5" groups at 50 yards out of a lead sled which is what they told me they shoot all of their rifles out of.

Anybody got an issue with 1.5" groups with the above combo out of a lead sled at only 50 yards?

Tom
Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

I think it will be fine. When you get the chance to work up a load, I'm sure you will be able to get better accuracy than that at 100 yards.Were they usning ascope?They were using pellets and I'm sure they were using the supplied sabot that comes with the Shockwave. When you get the corrrect sabot(Harvester Short Black) and some loose powder like 110 gr. of BH209 I'm sure your groups will shrink. I doubt they really tried to squeeze off the perfect while testing. They were just making sure that the gun would group. You may still want to float the barrel though. I am going to order a newLaminate Thumbhole for mine and float it just like I did the synthetic stock. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHulion

I think it will be fine. When you get the chance to work up a load, I'm sure you will be able to get better accuracy than that at 100 yards.Were they usning ascope?They were using pellets and I'm sure they were using the supplied sabot that comes with the Shockwave. When you get the corrrect sabot(Harvester Short Black) and some loose powder like 110 gr. of BH209 I'm sure your groups will shrink. I doubt they really tried to squeeze off the perfect while testing. They were just making sure that the gun would group. You may still want to float the barrel though. I am going to order a newLaminate Thumbhole for mine and float it just like I did the synthetic stock. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
When I get home I'm going to check the float on it. I'm also going to put the scope back on it. I think I'll be out at the range on Sunday.

I will report back.

Tom
Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,

I got out to the range today to shoot the Omega after they replaced the stock with the Laminate straight stock (non-thumb hole). I sanded the stock and the barrel is floating quite nicely. I also sanded the recoil lugs and sealed them back up.

The first thing I want to point out is that the (I'm not sure what this is called) the length from the stock handle to the trigger is quite a bit longer and I no longer feel as comfortable reaching the trigger. So that is a slight bummer. I have to grab the trigger much higher than I would prefer so the trigger feels slightly heavier.

I shot a three shot group at 50 yards and that measured 1". Then I shot a five shot group at 100 yards and it measured 2". I'd like to shrink those groups a bit but man is this a major step up from where I was.

Maybe with some practice the trigger will feel better and my accuracy will improve. I will likely be shooting her again this weekend.

Tom

Quick Reply: Omega Accuracy Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.