Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 No sabot conicals ? >

No sabot conicals ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No sabot conicals ?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No sabot conicals ?

Harter I'd be very leery of those bullets from your home made mould. All the conicals that I know of have bands on their sides to catch the rifle grooves and seal the bore. That's why bullet moulds are split so you can get the babys out after they harden. If your home made slugs have smooth sides they either won't fit down the barrel or they won't seal. A combo mould for 320 REAL + round ball will not break the bank and you can make decent ammo to your heart's content.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

I put a lot of study into the moulds that I have on hand. The trial is casting to just touch the lands as not to just fall down the bore . Basically I have a deer slayer but w a longer ogive and no shoulder. My mould is 2 pieces and aside from the end bevels is very much a likness of a LEE mould if it fails its no big deal if it works then yea me. I a design that is not in the market or is too costly to me and may not work out. My day off time is free.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Im having a custom mold made for me pretty soon to cast my own type. Maybe if you work on some drawings and design it the way you want, you could get your own mold produced. The place i am having mine made at charges $150 and it only takes about 3 weeks to have it done.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

If this is an immaculate failure then I will A. settle for a commercial thats close or B.just go on with the PB .
For me it's that simple . This is just an oppertunity that has been nagging at me for I don't know how long .

I'm glad T A Edison didn't quit just because the platinum thread burned up in an hour .
Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM

lol