Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 conicals + a wad ? >

conicals + a wad ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

conicals + a wad ?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default conicals + a wad ?

Hey guys , I see many posts with users shooting conicals , and getting good accuracy . My question is wether thouse of you who shoot them are useing a wad . I was reading my knight manual , and it states that when shooting conicals to use a wad . Allso what type and brand of wad . I see where some are useing a 20 gauge shot cup , and was woundering what their aplication is ?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: conicals + a wad ?

A 20 gauge shot cup would be used in a .62 caliber. The Wads they are talking about are made out of 100% wool felt. The wads are lubed. The general rule of thumb is if the conical has a flat base then use a wad. If it has a hollow base do not use a wad. There are some that use wads no matter what and some that do not use them at all.

If you're shooting a Knight you might want to look at some 460 grain No Excuse Conicals. They shoot real well out of my Wolverine. You could also try some maxiball. I personally have not had much luck with them in my Knight by my CVA with a wad and a maxiball does an excellent job. R.E.A.L. conicals and a wonderwad do a real good job in the accuracy department. I like the 320 grain R.E.A.L.s the best.....

The other day out of the Knight I was shooting some 270 grain Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets. They are hollow base and hollow point. I was not using a wad and the accuracy with them was excellent.

You can by wads now, from many different places. They are listed as Wad, Wonder Wads, Bore Buttons, and Buttons. You can also make your own with construction grade 100% wool felt and a 1/2 inch hollow hole punch. Pound out a couple hundred and soak them in melted more butter, then let then set up on wax paper. They work well.

Another thing on the market are the MMP sub bases. I am trying them out now on a buch of different things. So far I have seen NO improvement in accuracy and actually worse accuracy in some cases. That just means I have not found the right combination so I am doomed to keep shootingmy rifles...

Good luck...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Sometimes a wad will really make a great difference not only in accuracy improvement, but also with velocity with allowing for heavier charges by preventing blow by.

Sometimes not. The only way to really know for sure is to try.

On average, I have better results with wads and conicals and even wadsPRB's than without when shooting heavy or hunting charges.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM

Cayugad - Not to turn this thread into another direction, but I've been awaiting word from you on how the MMP sub bases have been working out in your shootin' tests. Thanks for your initial comments above. Interesting...

If I could respectfully ask, please post your MMP sub base review once your tests are complete. A few "cayugad pics" mixed in would help as well .
Old 10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

testing them right now.. so far I am not all that impressed with them. I just have not found the right load I figure.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Cayugad - did you try the MMP sub baseswith the 410 gr. Hornady Great Plains? They seem to really make that bullet hum. I did not get as good results using them with the 348 Powerbelts, the 385 Great Plains, or the 385 Buffalo Bullet as without.

As soon as MZ deer season ends (this Sunday) I am going to try the sub bases with the new Sabertooth bullets - as well as the .429 Nosler Partition HG loads I tested last week with the Harvester crush rib sabots. I'm thinking insulating the sabots a little from the heat and pressure of the powder charge might be a positive thing in both of these cases. We'll see . . . .
Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

So far I have tried them with a few differentsabots... The accuracy was no better and no worse in most cases. Of course I am not one that pushed sabots all that hard so possibly the sub base is not making any real addition to the overall accuracy.

I have not tried them with the Great Plains Conical yet. I have not put my Black Diamond XR back together since I blew out the 209 nipple. I have got a replacement nipple for it and a new breech plug.. just been shooting other rifles and do a lot of scouting in the woods...