Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 home made hunting blind idea >

home made hunting blind idea

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

home made hunting blind idea

Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default home made hunting blind idea

thinking of building an portable hunting blind.

pvc pipes are my first choice to place the outer material.

burlap for the cover.

the pvc should make it light enough to be carried by one person. pvc joints make it able to be taken down. pvc would let me add on to it, if I want to make it larger to fit more people.

use an old camp chair bag to carry it.
still gotta do some price checking to see if it does save some money. wally world has a pop up for $40.

what ya think?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: home made hunting blind idea

wHEN you check out the price of the pvc pipes and fittings , plus the wieght it will be better to buy one made
Old 08-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I've done before is get the fabric of choice (burlap or camo mesh, etc.) and carry that. I then find my spot and use small trees or fallen limbs to arange and hang the fabric overor between as needed to hide behind. Some times I don't even need the fabric due to the foliage around me. I feel natural surroundings are less noticable to the wildlife than a new and unfamiliar structure, I've seen deer walk over and inspect a piece of trash on the ground that looked out of place. Remember, your hunting where they live 365 days a year, they know when something looks out ofplace.

A good quiet seat is also nice to have rather than sitting on the ground, I'm getting stiff in my old age. Also clear the ground of leafs and sticks that can make noise when you move around. Good luck with it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know if this guy is even in business anymore but it is the slickest blind I have evr seen and used.
Apache Pyramid Blind
Manufactured by JDI, Inc.
3746 Morgan Rd.
Orion, MI 48359
248-391-2131
The Apache Pyramid rolls up neatly for
carrying and provides a quick shield for
hunters.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my favorite portable deer blind. It is heavy at 22 pounds to carry though. The frame is 3/4" PVC pipe useing 45 degree elbows, T's and 4 way spiders. I bought it ready made in 1994 from a company in Troy Michigan. I believe they went out of bussness in 1999.

I like it because from day one I didn't need to do more than set it up and hunt. I do set it up in Oct. and do not use it till the Muzzle loader season in Dec. I don't brush it in either what you see is how it sets. The door zipper never freezes even if it gets cold after a heavy rain.

This is one of my 2 Ameristep dog house blinds. This one is floorless. The other has a floor that zippers so you could use it as a ice fishing house too, I guess you could them all.They are not my favorite blinds but much better than some of the Chinese ones. Buy them early as you need to seal all the sew seams or they leak like a sole less boot. You also need to really lube the fine tooth zippers as they will freeze up at the drop of a snow flake. I rub mine full of bees wax to repel the water. If it snows during the night and warms during the day the snow melts and runs right in the zippers and will freeze in the late day when it cools down.
They are how ever lighter than the PVC one cost less also to buy. Set up is a snap and I can even fold the floorless one up to fit back inside the back pack the one with the floor is another story how ever.I wouldbuy them again only if they put some type of flap over the zippers that repeled water.

I also set these up in Oct and don't use them till Dec. I will some times move them during the Dec hunt but I brush them in a bunch.

Al
Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought a blind from Wal Mart that comes in a nice carry bag you throw on your back like a pack. When you get to the spot you want, simply take it out of the bag, throw it on the ground and it pops right up. I carry tent stakes, and stake down the sides to the ground, and put a plastic rubbermade lawn chair inside. I sit in there with my shooting sticks and the rifle rests out the small slit in the front. I've had deer walk within ten feet of it and a grouse I thought was going to join me one day. Mine sat frozen to the ground all winter because of early snow. This spring I walked out, pulled the stakes, and it folded right up and back in the bag. It costed $39.00
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

did some price hunting. just between the pvc and burlap (not including fittings) are as much as the one at wally world

think I'll go that way. gives more time to shoot
Old 08-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great idea, but as you can see, mass produced blinds aren't that expensive and easier to fold/carry than most homemade. Keep thinking though!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM

yep wally world makes a good affordable blind. I dont hunt an area where i can use one but still, it would be nice to have if you can use it in your area!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

yep wally world makes a good affordable blind. I dont hunt an area where i can use one but still, it would be nice to have if you can use it in your area!
Chinawomenand kidsmake the blind, Wally World makes the money on it..............

Quick Reply: home made hunting blind idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.