HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - home made hunting blind idea
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: home made hunting blind idea

This is my favorite portable deer blind. It is heavy at 22 pounds to carry though. The frame is 3/4" PVC pipe useing 45 degree elbows, T's and 4 way spiders. I bought it ready made in 1994 from a company in Troy Michigan. I believe they went out of bussness in 1999.

I like it because from day one I didn't need to do more than set it up and hunt. I do set it up in Oct. and do not use it till the Muzzle loader season in Dec. I don't brush it in either what you see is how it sets. The door zipper never freezes even if it gets cold after a heavy rain.

This is one of my 2 Ameristep dog house blinds. This one is floorless. The other has a floor that zippers so you could use it as a ice fishing house too, I guess you could them all.They are not my favorite blinds but much better than some of the Chinese ones. Buy them early as you need to seal all the sew seams or they leak like a sole less boot. You also need to really lube the fine tooth zippers as they will freeze up at the drop of a snow flake. I rub mine full of bees wax to repel the water. If it snows during the night and warms during the day the snow melts and runs right in the zippers and will freeze in the late day when it cools down.
They are how ever lighter than the PVC one cost less also to buy. Set up is a snap and I can even fold the floorless one up to fit back inside the back pack the one with the floor is another story how ever.I wouldbuy them again only if they put some type of flap over the zippers that repeled water.

I also set these up in Oct and don't use them till Dec. I will some times move them during the Dec hunt but I brush them in a bunch.

Al