Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 interested in muzzleloading >

interested in muzzleloading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

interested in muzzleloading

Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default interested in muzzleloading

Hey everybody im looking to get into muzzleloading ive never done it befor in my life my dad never has ither. Whatwould be a good first setup for me im looking for somtihng relativl cheap sence it will be my first gun. I would also like somtihng relativly easy. Do you guys and girls have any ideas for me?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: interested in muzzleloading

Cheap and Easy muzzleloaders... well there are some out there. Look at the CVA line of rifles. The Buckhorn Magnum, or some of the others.

What you might want to do for starters...

decide on how much you want to spend
then decide on the kind of hunting you will be doing. For instance, the distance you will be shooting. Are you going to need optics.
What kind of projectiles do you want to shoot?

Go to some of the different gun make sites. Read about their guns. See which one appeals to you. And go to the gun auction sights and look over the different kinds of rifles they have to sell. You might find a good deal there as well.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest a CVA Wolf - it's gotten good reviews and is very inexpensive. It's a break action that is easy to use and easy to clean. It also pretty accurate. I don't own one, but I own another CVA bolt-action that I like a lot. Nothing special, but it gets the job done and is very accurate. The Wolf should be easier to use & clean because of the break-action design.

Traditions is another company that makes decent, affordable ML's. The Traditions Tracker costs around $100, or slightly more and is a good rifle. 2 guys I hunt with have Trackers and they shoot really good with 240 grain XTP's - they've taken numerous deer. The Trackers are a little harder to clean, though.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ryncam16

Hey everybody im looking to get into muzzleloading ive never done it befor in my life my dad never has ither. Whatwould be a good first setup for me im looking for somtihng relativl cheap sence it will be my first gun. I would also like somtihng relativly easy. Do you guys and girls have any ideas for me?
Look for a used gun at a pawn shop or in a local Want AD. Also Williams Gun Site Company (google that) has used guns and they are a very good company to buy from. If you can find someone who is into MLing to give you some guidance, that would also be a good thing.
Best Wishes starting out.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

All of the above and also check with your state's muzzleloader requirements. Some states have restrictions on type of ignition (flint, percussion, other), type of weapon, sights, bullet, etc. Check all the laws.
If you intend on buying used, it may be wise to invest <$10 for a bore light by CVA. This little light slides down the bore so you can look at the rifling and avoid buying one with arusted or pitted bore. (tip - put some masking tape over the light so it isn't too bright that it obscures any defects in the bore).
Also, you may have your own personal preference as to the type of ML you want. Do you want an inline or a sidelock?
Whatever you decide on - continue to ask questions here. Most all of us are willing to give you advice. (and most of it is pretty sound).
Old 07-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

All very good advice. The only other thing I might add to that is to make sure to handle a few of them before you buy one. You may find that the one that fits you bestcosts alittle bit more, but you'll enjoy shootinga gun that fits you much more than you would something that is uncomfortable.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM

I have a CVA bobcat if you are interested. Its an all weather, black/black synthetic stock with 24" barrel, replaced the original sights with something easier for to me use. 1:48 twist. PM me if interested.