Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Bags

Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Bags

i bought Caldwell's "Tack Driver" bag and have been happy. nothing beats a lead sled but i didn't have the $140 for one of them.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the lead sled
but my shooting bench has a buit in front rest also
Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lightweight tripod works great for a front rest you need to carry around. I would recommend a good "rabbit eared" bag for the back. You can get close to bench rest accuracy from this combo. Hoppes makes a decent low priced front tripod. Tom.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

My shooting bench is a Black & Decker WorkMate that's about 25 years old, I sit on a 5 gal bucket with a boat cushion on top and the shooting rest is one made by Outers, I bought it back in the 80s...As long as you make sure the WorkMate is on solid ground you can shoot some great groups...

I have also shot off a 50lb bag of corn and with my centerfire sometimes I just put the bipod on and use it as a rest...
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blue jean pant legs work great! I'm with Lee on this one, although I have others, the homemade stuff seems to work the best for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Them things are to expensive!

My Pillowcase filled with sand i get right off my own ground at home!
You can make them in all sorts of sizes.

Now dont try tellin me its not going to be as accurate as one those 'Spensive rests

Old 08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SE4 0476&src=sim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SE4 0477&src=sim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SE4 0411&src=sim

just some good prices on bags - shipping feewas pretty terrible last time I checked.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I use heavy duty cotton bags from my bank. They'll usually give you a couple if your real nice. I then put a bag of rice in them and close them with a wire tie.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its not always what you have,I won the IL State round ball bench rest at all distances in 1978 with an old wood ironing board a couple of home made sand bags and an old original over the log rifle that had a couple of pits in the barrel.
Now due to a couple of things I have noticed here I am going to give a couple of pointers, Rubber sponge rubber or anything else that has spring to it give like in a sand bag is all right but any spring is going to cause 3 or 4 inch groups in a gun and shooter that's capable of minute of angle.
One of the other things I have seen a lot of people have problems with is Parallax this causes major problems a scope may start out with out any at the proper distance but a lot of them [any brand ] give alittle in the lens mountings then you have it big time. It is easy to check for if you go at it right, Set up your gun on sand bags and brace it with a couple more get the cross hairson some thing you can see well and with outtouching the gun look through the scope if it at the distance it is supposed to be parallax free and the cross hairs move when you move your head a little it will cause the bullet to go as far off as the cross hairs move.
To get one hole groups every thing has to be 100% consistent its not just the powder bullet and sabot load ; most of these modern inlines are capable of one hole groups but a lot of people cause them to shoot poorly. Lee
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The question is not accuracy. The question is fast adjustability, and repeatability. Tom.