Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

found a new toy

Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default found a new toy

Well remember I told you guys I just came back from florida and while down there I looked at the local pawn & gun shops for a decent ML to no avail? And Semisane remarked that I have to catch up on my homework too? I said I had to go to my local shop to pick up some powder and bullet mould. Well I got the powder but the mould wasn't in yet. However, I was walking past one of the used racks and there stood a almost like new Lyman Great Plains Hunter flintlock. Looked over the outside and only saw one ding where it looks like whoever had it tried to drift the rear sight without the proper punch. I reached into my pocket an pulled out my trusty CVA bore light, dropped it down the bore - spotless.
Okay - now the hard part - lets see how much the tag says. Well holy s**t - only $250.00. I took it right over to the counter and whipped out the old mastercard. I brought it home, took it apart, wiped the stock down with Murphy's Oil soap, ran a couple of patches down the bore first with 50/50 alcohol/windshield washer the T/C #13 then dried and light oil. Looks like more homework over the weekend.
Thing looks like brand new. Only one thing, it is missing a wedge pin but I can pick one of them up on Tuesday. This dealer was out of them.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: found a new toy

You're a lucky man bronko. Great deal! If it still has the factory touch hole liner, the first thing I would do is order a RMC liner.

http://rmcoxyoke.com/catalog.htm (Scroll down to mid-page.)

I put 50 rounds through my GP flintlock last week-end without the rear wedge in place. Didn't seem to effect accuracy. By the way, on the GP the rear wedge is slightly longer than the front wedge.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Some guys have all the luck great find and let us know how it shoots. It was probably a gun a fellow had and shot a few times and found out it wasn't his cup of tea. Those are the best kind.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info Semi. I always wanted a Lyman GPH. I have a bunch of T/Cs. I did have a Lyman Deerstalker but didn't like the single trigger.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

What a great deal... that should be a good conical shooter..
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Well remember I told you guys I just came back from florida and while down there I looked at the local pawn & gun shops for a decent ML to no avail? And Semisane remarked that I have to catch up on my homework too? I said I had to go to my local shop to pick up some powder and bullet mould. Well I got the powder but the mould wasn't in yet. However, I was walking past one of the used racks and there stood a almost like new Lyman Great Plains Hunter flintlock. Looked over the outside and only saw one ding where it looks like whoever had it tried to drift the rear sight without the proper punch. I reached into my pocket an pulled out my trusty CVA bore light, dropped it down the bore - spotless.
Okay - now the hard part - lets see how much the tag says. Well holy s**t - only $250.00. I took it right over to the counter and whipped out the old mastercard. I brought it home, took it apart, wiped the stock down with Murphy's Oil soap, ran a couple of patches down the bore first with 50/50 alcohol/windshield washer the T/C #13 then dried and light oil. Looks like more homework over the weekend.
Thing looks like brand new. Only one thing, it is missing a wedge pin but I can pick one of them up on Tuesday. This dealer was out of them.
I love the GP flintlocks, a lotta guys I hunt with in Penna have this rifle and they are very accurate and reliable. Great deal, a Kit Gun is about what you paid for that, a complete gun is about $500 new, so that was an excellent price for a good gun.
Chap
Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I can see why whoever had this ML before traded it in. Nothing major mind you but apparently he did'nt know too much about MLs.
First shot went off without a hitch. Second shot nothing. A quick look and saw the flint was carcked down the middle. The leather around the flint was paper thin. Replaced the leather and put in new flint. Then fphhhhht, you flinters know the sound. Pan goes off but not the charge. Picked out the factory touch hole liner and boom. About 2" from the first shot. Third, same way, flash hole clogged again. (Can't wait to get a RMS flash hole liner).
OK, now no spark. Replaced frizzen with a used on in my box. Third shot - same general area. About a 4" group at 50 yds - 3" low. Spring on rear sight very weak and won't reaise rear sight high enough. Looks like I'm going to have to get a set of fiber optic sights for it.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that for some unknown reason, the top screw on the butt plate was protruding just a tiny bit. On the first shot, the recoil seemed to whack me pretty good being only shooting in a T-shirt. Last night when I was getting ready to take a shower I noticed that that darn screw took off the first layer of skin and left an almost perfect impression in my shoulder.
I have no reason to believe that I won't get this rifle shooting. Its just going to take some time. And I like playing with them anyway.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I reached into my pocket an pulled out my trusty CVA bore light...
You carry a bore light around with you?

Congrats on the find. It sounds like it will be a fine shooter once you get it adjusted properly.

~Robert