Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shoulder

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shoulder

I go with the others. Plenty of time to shoot after you recoup. Never know you may be shooting some light loads later in the fall. Everyone heals different, some faster some slower. Good Luck with what ever ya decide.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Spike

DCH,

If you haven't tried it yet, seriously try Glucosamine with Chondroitin (triple strength) supplements while you are waiting to have your surgery. This combination works great (sometimes miraculously) for many people who have joint problems. Cheapest place to get them is Sam's Club or Costco for ~$23.00 for a 3 month supply. About 8 years ago I had a shoulder injury that ached like an bad toothache. 600mg ibuprofen 5-6 times a day and even the narcotic Darvocet didn't touch the pain. I took 2 tabs the 1st evening, 2 next am, 2 in the evening, 2 again the next am and 48 hours from starting, the ache was gone. Still a little sore with movement but much better. I cut back to 1 pill twice a day and the shoulder was pretty much pain free after about a month. But it doesn't work for everybody! Also, 3 years ago, my father who has suffered from arthritis for the past 40 some years, had hand surgery to replace the cartilege in his thumb joints with a piece of one of his tendons. I spent the week after surgery to help him and got him started on this supplement. My dad was going to have the same surgery done on his other hand, but after a week the pain was significantly better. He cancelled the 2nd surgery. But again, it doesn't work for everybody. But it might help you while you are waiting for your surgery. And No, I don't have stock in this supplement. BTW, if you are diabetic, check with your MD 1st.
Good luck and may our father in heaven put his healing hand on your aching bones and restore you to full function and health, we ask in Jesus' name.

James
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Hey guy's thanks for all of your input on the shoulder.I do have a lot of things in my favor reguarding surgery, I have one of the best orthorpedic surgens in Utah and he is not pushing me, he says that it is a must that I have it done but whenever I am ready. I have been taken Glucosamine for several years and it has helped in areas that are not deterioated like the shoulder. I lead a very active life so physical therapy don't bother me. To make a long story short I am heeding all your advice and called the Doctor yesterday for a schedule for the surgery. Thanks again to all of you as Iknew all along that I should have it done now, and not procrastinate, all I needed was a little push from friends and you guy's were there. Thanks again DCH
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

The upside is six months of no yardwork
Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duck Creek Hunter

I am in a quandry, When I first joined this forum, I told you all that I was getting into ML because I could not shoot my bow as I have a bad shoulder. Now that the snow has melted and the conditions are right for shooting my Gp Ml, I found out the other day that the shoulder will need a complete replacement. I have no cushing between ball and socket.So what do I do, wait until after hunting season in the fall, or get it over with now? the recruperation time is six weeks in a sling, and than lots of physical therapy. Which leads to the question will I be able to shoot and hunt in the fall if I have it done now? The second question is if I don't have it done now It is so sore at times that will I be able to shoot anyway? Have any of you had this procedure done? I rely on your expert advice on Ml questions that I decited to ask you all for an opinion.
Of course the better half has a little say in this too, but she is really letting me make the call. I respect all your opinions. DCH
Buy a left handed gun and learn to shoot left handed, for this year. You can buy an air rifle andget a lot of handling practice. Shoot real light loads, like 60g and don't take shots over 75 yards. Best wishes with the shoulder, sounds like it would be wise to get it done now and not hinder hunting in 2009 and beyond. Chap Gleason